BSOD error 116 RRS feed

• Question

• Been receiving a bsod 116 error and done anything that anyone who seemed intelligent said to do in order to fix this.

It only happens when I play online games, which of course led me and many others to believe it was in some way shape or form, my video drivers or the cards themselves. I have updated every single driver in my computer after 2 full system restores and still it comes up. Sometimes it takes 5hrs other times it's 5 minutes.

I have run every other scan/check that I or most people could think of. ie; memtest, malware/spyware scans, gpu temp checks, fan checks etc.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have officially run out of ideas on this one.

Let me know if anyone needs me to post anything as well.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can run SFC command to fix such system file. Or you can get a DirectX 9 support in Windows 7:

Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, Windows 7 is installed with a more recent version of DirectX. If you install an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message, such as: "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." The last two digits of the file name might vary. If you receive the same error message after reinstalling the application or game, go to the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer webpage and follow the instructions to install DirectX 9 and receive updates to DirectX 9 and previous versions of DirectX.

Diagnosing basic problems with DirectX

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/diagnosing-basic-problems-with-directx

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, April 7, 2014 2:58 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 8:24 AM

All replies

• 1. You will need more parameters to diagnose origin of your problem

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263(v=vs.85).aspx

2. Avoid oveclocking for test

3. Make sure that your game is compatible with operating system. Consider compatibility mode if this is aimed at older operating system.

4. Use proper drivers from computer vendor ( I have not a good experience with drivers that comes with updates). Sometimes older ones resolve the problem.

5. Make use of support forum of game vendor. Someone else may find the solution for your troubles.

6. Make deeper diagnostics with Sysinternals tools (Process Monitor, Process Explorer) as well as classical ones (Event logs, Devide Manager,...)

7. Do diagnostics with Nirsoft BSOD viewer (initial test) and use WinDBG for more detailed analysis.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Milos,

Appreciate the extremely quick response! Here is what I think you were asking about...

From Nirsoft BSOD viewer:

Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Caused By Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Crash Address Stack Address 1 Stack Address 2 Stack Address 3 Computer Name Full Path Processors Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time
    032914-21356-01.dmp 3/29/2014 5:11:23 PM   0x00000116 fffffa80`163a24e0 fffff880`0fc84e2c ffffffff`c000009a 00000000`00000004 dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5d140         x64 ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0         C:\Windows\Minidump\032914-21356-01.dmp 8 15 7601 565,520 3/29/2014 5:12:20 PM

From my event log:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa80163a24e0, 0xfffff8800fc84e2c, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004)."

Still working on the WinDBG d/l. I have never overclocked. I am running eight intel i7-3610QM cpu cores @ 2.3ghz each / 16gb of ram / vid cards are NVidia 675m. I have updated all my drivers and even tried going back to older ones several times.

Ill post my results of the windbg asap

Wont let me use windbg to open any of the dump files.
    • Edited by Appoduece Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:41 AM update
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:26 AM
  • So it looks like (happened 5-6 times since last post) everytime the BSOD happens, it is due to the directx file as seen above. Isn't directx a core windows file? Can I remove it somehow ? I understand that I need directx to run games, so I would need to d/l a fresh version etc.

Please advise.

Saturday, March 29, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

You can run SFC command to fix such system file. Or you can get a DirectX 9 support in Windows 7:

Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, Windows 7 is installed with a more recent version of DirectX. If you install an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message, such as: "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." The last two digits of the file name might vary. If you receive the same error message after reinstalling the application or game, go to the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer webpage and follow the instructions to install DirectX 9 and receive updates to DirectX 9 and previous versions of DirectX.

Diagnosing basic problems with DirectX

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/diagnosing-basic-problems-with-directx

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, April 7, 2014 2:58 AM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 8:24 AM