Windows Explorer has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a Windows 2008 R2 server.    The explorer.exe file keeps crashing and poping up a message that says "Windows explorer has stopped working".  I have the option to Restart the program.  After restarting the program it crashes within 5 seconds.  So far I have replaced the explorer.exe file from another server that is running the exact same OS.  I have also tried the sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f options.   I don't not know how to read the CBS.LOG  file.   The problem details that were in the error window are listed below.   Please help me resolve this.   

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: explorer.exe
      Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
      Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
      Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
      Fault Module Timestamp: 521eaf24
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 000000000003cbc8
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 7db7
      Additional Information 2: 7db77d598c6c57d58cb7f7fe488fd5ae
      Additional Information 3: 9a9f
      Additional Information 4: 9a9f12ce366fa5a97b945366389578c1

• Edited by stylez04 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At beginning, please confirm with us what you have done before this situation firstly occurred, it would be helpful to diagnose this problem.

Next, according to your post, there  is some information that we should note:

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll and the Exception Code: c0000005

There is an official article talk about the similar issue, please read it and download hotfix to test whether it could fix this problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545627

In addition, I suggest to perform a clean boot to see whether explorer.exe will still stop working. This operation can help us troubleshoot the third-part software issue. The following link gives more information about Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

What’s more, maybe ntdll.dll itself has been broken, we could copy a normal one from other computer which uses the same system to replace.

Please have a try.

Hope my suggestion could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

At beginning, please confirm with us what you have done before this situation firstly occurred, it would be helpful to diagnose this problem.

Next, according to your post, there  is some information that we should note:

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll and the Exception Code: c0000005

There is an official article talk about the similar issue, please read it and download hotfix to test whether it could fix this problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545627

In addition, I suggest to perform a clean boot to see whether explorer.exe will still stop working. This operation can help us troubleshoot the third-part software issue. The following link gives more information about Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

What’s more, maybe ntdll.dll itself has been broken, we could copy a normal one from other computer which uses the same system to replace.

Please have a try.

Hope my suggestion could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Friday, December 25, 2015 9:27 AM