none
SteadyState 2.5: Error message when logging in as newly imported user RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running into the following issue while testing SteadyState 2.5.  I did not find this issue with SteadyState 2.0.  I have been researching the forums and online trying to find an answer, but have been unsuccessful.  Here is the problem I am having>

1.  I import a template called Manager

2.  Add Manager to the Administrators Group

3.  Log off of Administrator and Log In As Manager

4.  After Loading Personal Settings, I receive the following error:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator.

Everything else behind the scenes seems to work OK, I just cannot figure out what would be causing this.

In the profile, I have the following restrictions in place:

Windows Restrictions:  All checkboxes enabled except those listed below

Start Menu Restrictions

Prevent program in the allusers folder from appearing

Remove the shut down button

General Restrictions

Prevent acess to Windows Explorer features: Folder Options; Customer Toolbar; and Notification area

Prevent acess to the taskbar

Prevent access to the command prompt

Allow only programs in the Program Files and Windows folders to run

Disable Notepad and Wordpad

Remove the Reycle Bin icon

Hid Drives

All drives but one shared network drive are blocked (OSmile

Feature Restrictions All checkboxes enabled except those listed below

Internet Explorer restrictions

Prevent Printing

Menu Options (All checked)

Toolbar options

Print

Third party extensions buttons

Microsoft Office Restrictions (All checked)

Using a default Home Page

Only allowing certain addresses

Any help would be very much appreciated.  I have been struggling with this for over a month, and have received little response on this issue.

Thanks,

Joe

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:22 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Joe, you can see the differences in the restrictions between 2.0 and 2.5 by comparing c:\program files\windows steadystate\xml\restrict.xml between the two versions. We still do not have official document regarding this.    

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Joe, since the error message is received after logging in with the user, I consider this can be caused by startup items and Windows SteadyState restrictions. What about disabling startup items and we can find if this issue is caused by insufficient permission to start certain program?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:39 AM
  • Sean,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The error I listed only appears upon the first login of the newly imported user.  All subsequent logins do not have this issue.  In terms of Startup items, here is what is in my startup folder:

Cisco VPN Client

Regid (our internal application launcher)

Whoami

Snagit8

This issue did not occur with SteadyState 2.0, so it has to be a change in 2.5.

I have been asking in numerous posts for a detailed list of the checkbox selections and what they mean.  However in my previous post a month has passed and nothing has come from it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:30 PM
  •  

Hi Joe, you can see the differences in the restrictions between 2.0 and 2.5 by comparing c:\program files\windows steadystate\xml\restrict.xml between the two versions. We still do not have official document regarding this.    

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Sean,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   In either case, when comparing the XML file you mentioned between versions the number of differences is great.  I am not sure which specific TAG you wanted me to look at.  There are more than 44 differences between the files.

Has a handbook been released for 2.5 which details exactly what each setting does?  This is a troublesome problem for me that I would love to get resolved.  Since 2.0 is not available for easy download, I would like to start with the rollout of 2.5.  Unfortunately with these errors I am not able to move forward.

It seems the error I am speaking of only appears when you first log in (for the first time) with the newly created user.  The message that appears is as follows:

Restriction

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator.

Thanks,

Joe

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:12 PM