Unable to delete a video RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded a few MP4 videos and I'm unable to delete them even after restarting my PC and restarting in Safe mode. I get the message that the file is open in another application but I don't see any related programs that are open (even in the task manager). I have no idea what application that this error message is referring to. Any ideas?
    OS: Windows Vista 32 w/SP1 CPU: Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs) RAM: 2046MB RAM GPU: GeForce GTX 260 SND: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro HDD: 80GB
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:43 PM

Answers

• If possible (if files are resident on local disk), remove hd, try and delete from a different pc or os, or use a win-pe disc (or other live boot disc) if you have access to one. Also try to use a non-microsoft file explorer (Total Commander etc).
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:31 PM

All replies

• Auutumn -

Something doesn't sound right. If you've rebooted several times (and it seems like you probably have), you shouldn't have anything holding that file open. I can understand the file not going away the first time - the player didn't shut down properly and something is holding the file open. But after a reboot..?

Just out of curiosity - what AV program do you have installed? I would think there maybe something funny going on... Maybe a trojan. Make sure you've got the most up to date definitions and scan those files. You can also try getting ahold of Process Explorer (Systernals) and see if there's anything in there listed that has anything to do with the video files and you can try killing those processes off.. Process Explorer is like Task Manager on steroids. Great app!

Monday, July 13, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Which folder are the videos saved in? If it is on a external drive or device, or on a internal drive? What is the full path of the folder?
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:11 AM
  • If possible (if files are resident on local disk), remove hd, try and delete from a different pc or os, or use a win-pe disc (or other live boot disc) if you have access to one. Also try to use a non-microsoft file explorer (Total Commander etc).
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:31 PM
  • maybe you can use unlocker and remove it or find which program is using mp4 file
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:14 PM