none
gpresult /H report.html ERROR: Invalid pointer

    Question

  • While troubleshooting the application of a GPO this morning I discovered that I can no longer use gpresult /h to generate an HTML report file; I get the error message "ERROR: Invalid pointer", and while the output file is created successfully, it is empty when viewed in IE or Notepad.

    I did some searching and came across a TechNet post which seems to reference this issue; I can't post a link since this is a new account, but the title was almost the same as this one (it was "gpresult /H rsop.html ERROR: Invalid pointer"), the user who posted it was named "it chick", and the user who posted the accepted answer is "Mark D. Albin".

    EDIT: I can now add the link; here it is (coincidentally, it is the same link mezzizhu posted below): https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/21bd5128-ab8a-47d9-a0c1-181b4a0acd5c/gpresult-h-rsophtml-error-invalid-pointer?forum=winserver2008appcompatabilityandcertification

    Sadly, the two suggestions in the accepted answer did not change the behavior I am observing. I tried running the Command Prompt as Administrator and leaving off the .html file extension then renaming the file afterwards, but the behavior was consistent.

    Interestingly, gpresult has no problem generating XML report files. These are not as easy to use for spot-checking application of a new GPO, but they can suffice if the admin sacrifices some time to read through them manually.

    I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this issue- Does anyone have any pointers they can offer? (Pun not intended.)


    (Note: I wasn't sure where to put this post; I'm seeing the behavior on desktops so it seemed like a good fit for the General Windows Desktop Development Issues Forum in the Windows Desktop category. I thought it would fit better under the Windows Server category, but neither of the three forums in that category {SDK for Home Server 2011[...], Server Virtualization, or Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility and Certification} seemed appropriate for this issue.)



    • Edited by o97c Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:09 PM to add referenced URL
    • Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟MVP Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:46 AM not dev related
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:21 PM

Answers

  • I am happy to report that I found a solution by way of this post: http://mieffel.noonkief.nl/?p=769

    There, the author states that they had a Group Policy Preference item with type=Create; the item was there to create a local user account on the target system. He changed the type from Create to Update, and the invalid pointer behavior with gpresult was no longer observed.

    This worked for me as well- I had a GPP item in a GPO that was used to create a registry key, and when I changed its type from Create to Update, then ran gpupdate /force on the machine, I had no issues generating an HTML report. I performed the same gpupdate-then-gpresult procedure on other machines and the resolution is consistent- This seems to have fixed the problem for now.

    • Marked as answer by o97c Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:00 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:00 PM

All replies

  • messizhu, do forum members get some kind of reputation score for posting links that can be found in seconds via Google or Bing by using the article's title as a search string?

    Please note that if you read my question in its entirety, I say the following:

    I tried running the Command Prompt as Administrator and leaving off the .html file extension then renaming the file afterwards, but the behavior was consistent.

    These attempts at resolution were derived directly from the post you linked to. In the future, please read the entire question and attempt to comprehend it before contributing a low-effort reply.





    • Edited by o97c Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:03 PM to put the quote in a blockquote tag
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 12:57 PM
  • I am happy to report that I found a solution by way of this post: http://mieffel.noonkief.nl/?p=769

    There, the author states that they had a Group Policy Preference item with type=Create; the item was there to create a local user account on the target system. He changed the type from Create to Update, and the invalid pointer behavior with gpresult was no longer observed.

    This worked for me as well- I had a GPP item in a GPO that was used to create a registry key, and when I changed its type from Create to Update, then ran gpupdate /force on the machine, I had no issues generating an HTML report. I performed the same gpupdate-then-gpresult procedure on other machines and the resolution is consistent- This seems to have fixed the problem for now.

    • Marked as answer by o97c Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:00 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:00 PM