none
MSP 2010 Pro - importing assignments in new project linked to shared Read-Only Resource Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a best practice for importing task assignment into a project file that is linked to a common resource pool?

Background : I have a Read-Only common resource pool (with resources only, approx 2500, no tasks, no assignments). I created new Project A where I import Tasks (about 600 from Excel using a Import Map), I note the Unique ID for each task and Resource Unique ID for each resource. then prepare a Assignment file (in excel) - Task Unique ID, Resource Unique ID (from common resource pool), Assignment Units. When I import the Assignments using Import Map, I don't get any error messages, but I also don't  see any assignment either. I have tried using GUID instead, same result. Note - this actually worked first time, then stopped second and subsequent times. I have since tried to create a brand new Project A file (think there might have been some file corruption)

Is this the best way to import? My resource, task and assignment is located in a MS Access DB - should I switch to XML instead? What are the volume limits of using MSP 2010 Pro (32-bit)? 

Appreciate any help and insight. Thanks in advance.  

MSP Learner

MSP Learner
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:39 PM

Answers

• Julie,

I think you just brought me a bit of luck! I just resolved this issue since the last post!

Having spent let's say about 50+hrs troubleshooting this assignment import issue, I have the answer. When adding (new) assignment records I need to choose Append not Merge when prompted to select how you want to Import. That was it!!  I have been using using Append all along. When click Help on Import Screen expecting help choosing Append or Merge, it takes me to a website with Bing Search? Not helpful.

I am absolutely thrilled to get a resolution. So feel free to bump in anytime!!

MSP Learner
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:21 PM

All replies

• Have you tried doing this opening the resource pool at a read-write file?  You could be running into a memory problem and having the file open read-write could help with that.  Also I have noticed that the volume of the import can make a difference also.
    Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Thanks Ellen, I believe I have tried, but let me know retry/verify. Thanks. I have 4GB RAM. I limited the assignment import to just 1000 rows for now.
    MSP Learner
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:46 PM
  • This might sound weird but there is a bug that you might be running into.  If you have a customized field that is flagged to be a lookup table with no elements in the table, it will actually stop an import.  They are fixing it in the next CU which is coming out in June.  Double check that this is not the case.  Also make sure that all lookup tables have the abilitiy to add values to them - that could stop an import as well.

I am glad you are not having the memory issues that I have seen at some clients.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:05 PM
  • It worked. Read/Write Resource Pool seems to do the trick. The import is still running (10 mins, at 50% CPU, maybe need to switch to 64-bit version?), but I see assignment icons  on Gantt View!  Thanks for your help!

MSP Learner
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:35 PM
  • I am glad that it is working for you now.  Best of luck. 
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Since the last post I have taken more steps backwards than forward.  At this point I am not able to import assignments to a project file (with a shared Resource Pool file either read/write or read only). The assignment data is Task Name, Work, Resource ID. I have tried other combinations such as (1) Task ID, Resource ID, Work (2) Task ID, Resource ID, Unit  etc.  The Import Wizard (using import map) seems to import some but not all the records (seems random). Also, for a given Task, if there are two assignment records (one per Resource), it imports one only. So I am reaching somewhat at the end of the road here (have expending too many hrs on what seems like a straightforward task).

Looking for any sage advice.

I am mulling over switching over to VBA code at this point.

MSP Learner
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in -- I'm a bit confused as to where you are trying to import the assignments -- into the pool file or the task file? Is the task file already connected to the pool file?
    Friday, May 27, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Julie,

I think you just brought me a bit of luck! I just resolved this issue since the last post!

Having spent let's say about 50+hrs troubleshooting this assignment import issue, I have the answer. When adding (new) assignment records I need to choose Append not Merge when prompted to select how you want to Import. That was it!!  I have been using using Append all along. When click Help on Import Screen expecting help choosing Append or Merge, it takes me to a website with Bing Search? Not helpful.

I am absolutely thrilled to get a resolution. So feel free to bump in anytime!!

MSP Learner
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Great.  I'm glad you were able to work it out and thanks for posting the resolution so that others may also learn!
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:04 PM
  • To continue my quest importing resources, tasks and assignments from disparate source systems, it is my experience that there are differences in the way Import Wizard / Import Function works. I noticed the following

1) Resource Import (using Import Map) - Resource Available From and Available to dates will not be imported UNLESS you create a new project file. If you Append to an existing file, Resource data is imported, minus Available From and Available to dates.

2) Task Import (using Import Map) - Task Start and Finish dates will not be imported UNLESS you create a new project file. If you Append to an existing file, Task data is imported, minus Available From and Available to dates.

This is my experience. Is this as expected? Or am I missing something? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.

MSP Learner
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:22 PM