Wiping Hard Drive and Windows 10 Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am giving my computer away to a friend and I need help figuring out how to completely wipe the hard drive and leave Windows 10 on it. I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 so If I wipe my hard drive will I get windows 10 back?

Thank you.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:36 PM

Answers

• You can reinstall Windows 10 of the same version, as it would have got digital entitlement during the upgrade it will activate when online when reinstalled. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 use the Download tool now link to create a bootable USB or an ISO, choose I do not have product key during the install.

But the Windows 10 reset tool does have a wipe option. Settings > Update & security > Recovery, Reset this PC. Choose Keep nothing then clean the drive.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Hi Luke,

As Mr. Happy said, reset system seems the simplest way to wipe hard drive and make system as a new one, you can try this method.

In addition, you don’t need to worry about degrade back to previous Windows 7, reset operation is equal as reinstall Windows 10 system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:13 AM

All replies

• You can reinstall Windows 10 of the same version, as it would have got digital entitlement during the upgrade it will activate when online when reinstalled. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 use the Download tool now link to create a bootable USB or an ISO, choose I do not have product key during the install.

But the Windows 10 reset tool does have a wipe option. Settings > Update & security > Recovery, Reset this PC. Choose Keep nothing then clean the drive.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Hi Luke,

As Mr. Happy said, reset system seems the simplest way to wipe hard drive and make system as a new one, you can try this method.

In addition, you don’t need to worry about degrade back to previous Windows 7, reset operation is equal as reinstall Windows 10 system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:13 AM