none
Intermittent Error: No Networking Adapters Found RRS feed

• Question

• The same task sequence with the same hardware randomly pops up this error at the end of the OSD with a yellow summary page even though the drivers are obviously there or the task sequence would not complete.

At some point during the deployment, it thinks the drivers are not there, but then finds them and continues on.

What can cause this type of sporadic error?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hello

Are you running it in HYPER-V if so 

You have to check the box "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" in Hyper-V manager - virtual network manager.

Also check by Disabling the Windows firewall temporarily.

You may use nslookup to specify the server to resolve a DNS name or NetBIOS name for a test.

Meanwhile, can you ping the DNS server when the problem occurs?

Enabling DHCP and export ipconfig information when the issue reoccurs

Regards, Regin Ravi

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:18 AM
  • They are physical desktop machines and the Windows firewall is disabled during the deployment.

One thing that isn't clear is whether it is really saying Windows doesn't see the network adapter hardware in Windows or the network drivers or if it is saying the network outside of the system (where the Ethernet cabled is physically connected) is not available.

I can't tell if this is a Windows driver issue or an external network issue.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 3:39 AM
  • Hi

If you have tried to enable PortFast on your network port that the desktop is attach to?

This could be a driver related issue - or network.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:12 AM
  • I was told Portfast is enabled, but I have some doubts now.

Is there any way from Windows to test if this is really working?

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:51 AM
  • This is a false failure. I would not worry about it.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:16 AM
  • This is a false failure. I would not worry about it.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

There is a problem because sometimes there is an error that says it cannot connect to the deployment share, but if we click retry, it works.

Is there any way to configure automatic retries so it doesn't hang there forever waiting for someone to come over and click the retry button?

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:19 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:18 PM
  • You could edit the scripts to add more retries although I would be curious if there are specific network adapters that are having an issue. If so are they drivers you added to the boot image and are they necessary?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:42 PM
  • I don't understand that.  If the network drivers are missing, then clicking retry would not make it work and it wouldn't be able to access the network to install the OS.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:53 PM
  • I guess there are a couple things to my answer.
    Are you seeing failures only on specific models?
    If on specific models what NIC and driver are used?
    Are the drivers missing (not inbox and only availble if you add them) 
    If this is an issue it is probably a driver issue. And even if the driver issue is fixed network retries will still show as a warning.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:25 PM
  • The network drivers are i217-LM for Windows 10 and added to the Out of Box drivers.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 10:58 PM
  • I have seen other threads with the same issue with that specific network adapter. I will see if I can find information on modifying whatever script this is warning on. Can you post a link to your BDD.log?

Friday, February 26, 2016 12:00 AM
  • Still having the issue intermittently.  Sometimes it works with no errors and sometimes it fails.

Same hardware.  Same image. Inconsistent results.

The last one I tried failed and I found these two errors in the System event log and it may provide clues.

Also the event log shows the computer name as "DESKTOP-FQVODRJ" even though the computer already has a custom computer name and successfully joined to the domain before failing.

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          2/26/2016 12:04:17 PM
    Event ID:      7023
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DESKTOP-FQVODRJ
    Description:
    The IP Helper service terminated with the following error: 
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-26T20:04:17.728222800Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1176</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="612" ThreadID="696" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>DESKTOP-FQVODRJ</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">IP Helper</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">%%1058</Data>
        <Binary>6900700068006C0070007300760063000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

=======================================================================================

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Service Control Manager
    Date:          2/26/2016 12:03:19 PM
    Event ID:      7023
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DESKTOP-FQVODRJ
    Description:
    The IP Helper service terminated with the following error: 
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-26T20:03:19.517925000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1123</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="612" ThreadID="712" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>DESKTOP-FQVODRJ</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">IP Helper</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">%%1058</Data>
        <Binary>6900700068006C0070007300760063000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Friday, February 26, 2016 8:20 PM
  • This is a driver issue.  I don't know of any way to guarantee the network card comes up faster during boot.  Interesting notes though from your logs though... Your boot images are different than the version of your share so I would VERY HIGHLY suggest you update the boot images and use them.  The Intel system drivers are Inbox and there aren't any released for Windows 10 so that might be a factor in how fast the NIC comes up.  The error from the logs is not that there is no IP address but, that there is no NIC detected.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:08 PM
  • I updated the boot image after posting the logs.  The next system I imaged worked with no errors.  So, I thought it was fixed, but the very next image of an identical PC using the same OSD task sequence failed.

HP provides network drivers for Windows 10 intended for this model PC and I downloaded those drivers from their web site and added it to the PE boot image and to the OSD out of box drivers used in OSD. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5387476&swItemId=vc_158349_1&swEnvOid=4192

On the systems that fail, I look in the device manager and it says the device is "working properly."  I don't understand how that matches with the task sequence saying no NIC is detected.

Are you suggesting that I remove the HP-Provided network drivers from the MDT Out of Box driver store and use in-box drivers instead?

• Edited by MyGposts Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:08 PM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:07 PM
  • It is worth a try to not use their drivers.  Frankly you only need to install drivers if you are missing them in most cases.  The one exception to that is drivers that reveal features.  I try to keep my driver stores as clean as possible.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 11:46 PM
  • I tried removing the HP network drivers and the network still installed, but the deployment failed with an unreadbale white blank summary screen.

I then also removed the HP provided graphics drivers and tried again and this time the deployment went past the point where it errored out earlier with low screen resolution and the graphics showing as generic Microsoft graphics.  After a couple of reboots during the task sequence, I saw the resolution increase and when I checked device manager the graphics changed to Intel HD Graphics 4600 with drivers dated July 2015.

So, it must be updating drivers via the Internet during the task sequence.

The the network drivers being installed now are newer than the ones coming from the HP download site and the graphics drivers are older, but work well enough to allow the task sequence to complete.

I wonder if I should download the latest drivers (at least the graphics drivers) from Intel and put those in the Out of Box drivers instead of HP drivers?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Just curious but is this issue showing up on systems with SSD drives?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Yes.  Almost all our computers have SSD drives.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:21 PM
  • Not surprised as I've seen the same issue on systems with SSD. I've ignored the errors because it didn't break anything and I figured the issue was that the system booted so fast the network adapter wasn't ready by the time the script tried to establish the connection. The MDT team might need to hard code some delays if that's truly the issue.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:57 PM
  • I know someone has a post about adding a delay to wait for network somewhere. File a bug on connect if you want the behavior changed.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:10 AM