XP Home will not start, reboot loop, can not get to Setup RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings Friends,

My XP Home system will not start.  I will try to give you as much info as I can.

The system was running and idle, with no applications running, and I heard it rebooting.  I turned on the monitor and saw the looping reboot.  It would go to the Windows XP splash screen for a few seconds and then automatically reboot, and repeat.

I started reading these forums in to try to fix it.  I was able to f8 to get the expanded list of boot options, and clicked no automatic reboot so I would get the bsod, and error messages.

The error message is STOP 0x000000ED (0x869619E0,0xc0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000 UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

So I tried to boot via CD, changing the bios to do that first, and the OEM CD would not do anything.  When it said to Boot from CD, I click Enter and the same thing happens.  It does not go to Setup.  So I figured that the OEM CD would not work, and I made several boot CDs.  I tried Paragon XP Rescue Kit CD, XP Recovery Console CD, and the RK.iso image CD.  All of those do the same thing also, when I click Enter on Boot from CD it will not go to Setup, just the Windows screen that shows boot options.

I want to try to recover my data, but don't know how to "slave" the drive.  I'm not very adept at hardware configuration/types of drive connections.

I've read many forum threads, help sites, etc. and am asking for help here as a last resort before doing something drastic like taking it in for repair.  Please help with any ideas that you have.

Thank you!

Monday, July 22, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• You've tried a bunch of different CDs and they all have failed.  My initial reaction is to now try a different CD Drive.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 7:10 PM

All replies

• You've tried a bunch of different CDs and they all have failed.  My initial reaction is to now try a different CD Drive.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Thanks for trying.  It's not the CD drive, that is working OK.

I was hoping for another response, I guess I've already tried everything that anyone would suggest.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:55 AM
  • You said you made several CDs.  If there was a problem with the drive, then maybe it is writing CDs incorrectly.  Have you tried a boot/rescue CD made from a different source?

Also slaving the drive is not that complicated.  You just disconnect the drive from the faulty system then connect it to a working one and boot up with the good drive.  Then there will be a new drive letter which is your bad OS install.  Browse to that drive and copy over anything you want to save.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:44 PM