none
Hourglass forever trying to drill down the members in the Modify Protectiongroup wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

Installed DPM 2010 final a few days ago. Now everytime I try to drill down the members in the Modify Protectiongroup wizard to change the memberships I get an hourglass forever (hours) without any content of the member appearing. Each time this is happening (2 times a day or at least everytime I try to do this) I have to restart the DPM server. Then for a limited time I am able to browse the content of the members. A few hours later, the same thing happens again.

This is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with all available hotfixes installed. The machine is running on an Windows Server 2008 R2 HyperV Cluster. The problem happens with all the protected members regardless of OS on those servers except for the content of the DPM Server itself.

Thats very annoying,

please help!

Alex

PS: Turning of the Windows Firewall on the DPM server does not help. On some production servers no firewall is enabled so this seems unrelated to fw problems.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I cannot say that the problem you are facing is due to the DPM server being installed on a Cluster node, however DPM is not supported on a cluster node.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399021.aspx

DPM is designed to be run on a dedicated, single-purpose computer. The DPM server is not supported on any of the following:

• A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
    • A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server
    • A computer on which Exchange Server is running
    • A computer that is a node of a cluster

I would recommend that you stand up a dedicated machine to be your DPM server, or virtualize the DPM server making sure that the disks used in the storage pool are either iSCSI attached or pass through disks.  We do not support .vhd's for DPM storage pool disks.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

maybe I did not make myself clear enough. DPM is NOT installed on a cluster node. DPM is in a seperate virtual machine that is running on a HyperV Cluster. Nothing else is installed on the DPM server except DPM and SQL.

So please help !

Thanks,
    Alex

Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hello,

On the servers you are trying to add, what roles do they hold? Basically, are we trying to enumerate Exchange storage groups? SQL databases? HyperV guests? or just regular directories?

Is this for any machine you try to add to that one particular group or if you create a new PG and then add that server to that PG does it enumerate then?

Thanks,
    Shane

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, I'm trying the reboot scenario now. But, my DPM Server is a stand alone server with no other roles added. On the machine I'm protecting, I just modified the location of the system state backup, by editing the PSDataSourceConfig.xml file. Could that be the issue?
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:14 PM