MDT 2012 U1 on Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have MDT 2012 U1 installed on Server 2012 with ADK.

I have two issues.

1. If I try and 'Add images on a specific WDS server', I get this error.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server 192.168.0.126.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server 192.168.0.126.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running.
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.WDSInfo..ctor(String wdsServer)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.Verifier.AddWDSImages(String wdsServer)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportOperatingSystem.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.OperatingSystemProgress.WizardProcessing()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.WizardProgress.InitiateWizardProcessing()

2. As I cannot scan the images into MDT I have manually added the OS source files, in this instance Windows 8 Pro. I have configured MDT share settings and when I try to update the share to generate boot files I get this error.

=== Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

Building requested boot image profile.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the path specified
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.UpdateProgress.WizardProcessing()

I don't have WAIK installed alongside ADK.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Just so we can help you better let's clarify what you already did:

1. What images are you trying to import into WDS? You should just be importing the boot files into WDS, but it sounds like they haven't been created yet.

2. When you say you can't scan the images into MDT I'm guessing you mean import, but what do you mean when you say you manually added the source?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

WDS has been working just fine, it has the x86 & x64 boot.wim files configured and various install.wim files for the different OS's.

When you configure MDT and right click 'Operating Systems' and select 'Insert Operating Systems' there is the last option to scan WDS for images, which I assume are the install.wim files, or is this only for captured images in WDS? In any case that's when the first error occurs.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server 192.168.0.126.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unable to enumerate images on WDS server 192.168.0.126.  This may occur if the server is not configured to run WDS or if the WDS service is not running.
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.WDSInfo..ctor(String wdsServer)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.Verifier.AddWDSImages(String wdsServer)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.ImportOperatingSystem.ProcessRecord()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.OperatingSystemProgress.WizardProcessing()

The message mentions to check that the WDS service is running, I have checked this and it is.

When I reffered to scan I meant what I have decribed above.

My second issue is that I cannot update the 'Deployment Share', this error occurs.

Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

Building requested boot image profile.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the path specified
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.UpdateProgress.WizardProcessing()

Does this clarify my predicament?

Thanks

Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:13 PM
  • It does clarify, thank you.

For starters, you shouldn't be importing any WIMs into WDS except the boot.wim files that are created in MDT. This defeats the whole purpose of MDT. When you are setting up a Lite-Touch scenario (which you are), you should be more focused on MDT. WDS is just a tool used for PXE, not a solution.

Import your Windows 8 source directly into MDT, not the scan WDS option, make sure you have any drivers you need imported into MDT, update your deployment shares to create the boot images and import the boot.wims it creates into WDS. When you PXE into WDS, it uses the MDT boot images to kick off the deployment and MDT should take over from there.

This should at least get you started.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply, that's the point though, I did manually add the source files to MDT but it will not create the boot files as the above error occurs when you try to update the share.

• Edited by GoogleFace Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:26 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 2:25 PM