windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just changed my OS from vista home premium to windows 7 ulitmate.
    My problem is when i shutdown the computer it no longer switches it self off.
    The screen says logging off, then shuts down but the power light and hardrive is still working.
    any ideas????
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:13 AM

Answers

• 1. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you shut down, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in Event log.

2. If it isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:15 AM

All replies

• 1. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you shut down, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in Event log.

2. If it isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:15 AM
  • What type computer or motherboard?
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:40 PM