Office 2010, word issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I have managed to sequence office 2007 no issue. now moving onto office 2010. I have managed to push out the office dev and the office licence (KMS cleint key) and can get all to run except word.

when I start word i get an error

an error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly please run setup and select repair to restore this application.

if i press ok word will open

now what option have i not disabled?. I have looked through office 2007 install guide and disabled the features that are similar.

we arent looking to use office in depth so dont need any proxys. (keep it simple)

Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:07 AM

Answers

• seems to have been a quirk in my base image. once i reverted back to a clean image and updeded fully the sequence worked.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by scott1527 Monday, November 15, 2010 10:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See the prescriptive guidance for Office 2010 here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462

/Znack

Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:18 AM
  • yup thats the one iv been using.

Could somone send me their msp file for office 2010 pro plus? just to rule out iv mucked anything up.

also I have noticed i can run word without a problem before i press next to show shortcuts in the sequencer once this is press i get the error when i launch the program or go direct to the installed location

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:13 PM
  • I have now taken the MSP out of the equation and i still get the same error. I took all the defaults (install to c:) and find it runs fine up to pressing next to launch the application from within the sequencer.however I can navigate to the install location and execute any of the office applications and they run but then close, but worked find right after the install..

thoughts on a postcard.

Friday, November 5, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Hello,

This is copied from the prescriptive guidance which I posted above;

Sequence Microsoft Office 2010

Start sequencer.

Click Create Package.

Create a name for the package.

For the installation folder, install to a new directory with an 8.3 format (for example, Q:\Temp123.wxp). Click OK.

Click Begin Monitoring.

Start the Setup program for Office 2010.

At the Choose the installation that you want screen, click Customize. In the Office install procedure, make sure that you select Install to hard drive if you want that feature installed.

Click the File Location tab, and change the path so that it matches the directory that you selected to install to when you started monitoring (for example, Q:\Temp123.wxp).

Click Install Now.

If following this steps there usually aren't any problems - even if the receiving client is horribly setup.

However, if you still have a problem after following those steps it would be good to determine what component causes this by investigating the activity that happens before receiving the error to the virtual registry / filesystem and the "real" registry filesystem

/Znack

Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:19 AM
  • seems to have been a quirk in my base image. once i reverted back to a clean image and updeded fully the sequence worked.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by scott1527 Monday, November 15, 2010 10:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:36 AM