SharePoint 2010 - Web Application discovery issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've had the SharePoint 2010 MP installed for about a month now.  An issue I have run into is that all the Web Applications were discovered initially, but there was one that got removed from SharePoint a few weeks ago, but still exists in SCOM and still creates alerts.  Does the discovery process need to be run again (I've actually run the configuration step again twice with no change).  I haven't found anyplace where I can override the discovery of this one site so I can remove it.  Just curious if anyone has run into the same situation or knows more about how the discoveries work.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:33 PM

Answers

• Web apps monitors are not discovered in the traditional sense.  SP201o has a shortcut that makes it easy to set up web url monitors on a list of web endpoints.  This is just smoke and mirrors though - under the cover distinct web monitors are set up.  These are never "re-discovered" so if there is a web url monitor still alerting, trace back to the monitor it comes from and disable it.

You can't delete it without deleting everything in whatever xml file the definitions were saved in initially as an MP.  If you want to start over, and if you isolated the webapp definitions to a unique file, you can delete that mp from the admin xml list.  But if you mixed things together in an mp like the default mp, you really can only disable the monitoring.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:44 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:05 PM