Problem with SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

• I installed in my computer the program "Windows SteadyState." 

1. - I programmed “Automatic update by means of Windows SteadyState”. 

2. - I activated “Protect the hard disk”. 

Later on I realized that I didn't need this program, and I tried to do the following thing: 

a) I tried to activate the Windows automatic updates in "Properties of the System", but I am unable to make it, because the box to activate them is of gray color.

b) I tried to eliminate "Windows SteadyState" from the computer, by means of the "Add and to remove programs", but I cannot make it because it appears the following message: "Windows SteadyState  is not able to uninstall correctly if the Protection of disk of Windows is activated. Disable it and attempt it again." 

c) In the page of "Windows SteadyState", I checked that the option "Automatic updates" by Windows SteadyState is disabled, and also "Protect hard disk", however I can not activate “Windows Automatic Updates", neither eliminate "Windows SteadyState" from the computer.

I will be grateful of your help to solve this problem.

Carefully,

Leonardo Cid

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:12 PM

Answers

•  

After disabling Windows Disk Protection, have you encountered any error when trying to remove Windows SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs?

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:29 AM

All replies

• To uninstall SteadyState and/or activate automatic update you must disable Windows Disk Protection (WDP).
    Friday, August 8, 2008 6:03 PM
  • That is just what I can not do.

Help please

Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Windows Disk Protection is disabled, however I can not activate automatic update neither uninstall SteadyState.

I hope somebody can help me.

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:58 AM
  •  

After disabling Windows Disk Protection, have you encountered any error when trying to remove Windows SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs?

Monday, August 11, 2008 6:29 AM
  •  

After disabling Windows Disk Protection, I have encountered the following message when trying to remove Windows SteadyState from Add/Remove Programs:

"Windows SteadyState can not uninstall correctly if you have activated Windows Disk Protection. Uncheck it and try again".
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:14 AM
  •  

Hi Leonardo, we check if there is a cache file (Cache.WDP) under drive C: As the cache file was hidden by default, we need to show the hidden files with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

If Cache.WDP exists, we can manually delete it with the following steps:

-------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

4. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer.

5. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

6. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

Then, let's check the issue.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:02 AM
  • I followed all the directions you gave me, but the file "Cache.WDP" did not appear.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Later I removed SteadyState from my computer using "Windows Installer Clean Up" but still I can not activate automatic updates.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 9:39 PM
  •  

Hi Leonardo, since the issue is not directly related to Windows SteadyState, I suggest you contact with our Windows Update support service via the link below to resolve the issue in a timely manner:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Hope this helps!
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:32 AM