Downloading Time out RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Every time I try downloading anything from Technet it downloads for a few hours, and then times out, and I need to start it over.

Is there a way of downloading that will alow me to continue of it times out, and not require me to start over?

Thank you
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Robinson

Thank you very much.

I think the trouble is I wasn't using IE in the beginging, once I tried IE it just worked.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 23, 2009 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:22 AM

All replies

• You can check out download.com for a download manager, or maybe try google chrome?

Try to provide an example of a link that takes a long time to download, and provide your connection type, DSL, dial-up, and if you are using a router, wlan etc.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:43 PM
  • I will maybe try chrome.
    I have tried in IE, Safari, and Firefox (with DTA).

Tried at work (don't know the connection), and Home (CDMA I think).
    Niether connection is that great, I will admit and understand that, the problem is that it seems to need to start over every time it times out, and is unable to continue downloading when it has a connection issue.

Maybe this is purposeful, so that people aren't able to have multiple threads/chunks of one file downloading at a time, and killing the servers.

Lzim, thank you very much for your reply, it is greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

It's an odd issue. Could you please try to download them in Safe Mode to test if the issue is a software confliction issue?

If the issue disappear, you can try to do a clean boot to test the issue.

For your reference:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Hope it helps.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Hello Robinson Zhang

I can try safemode, but I don't think the problem is a software one.
    I do think the issue is with the network, I was just asking if there was a way to continue a download and not need to start it over.

I will still try the safemode thing, woth a shot.

Thanks a lot.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

If the issue is a software conflict issue, we can resolve it without installing a download manager XD

If the issue is a networking issue, you can choose a download manager as a workaround. Such as Net Transport,FlashGet.

Hope it helps.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Okay... Followup.

Today I tried again.

Logged in, went to my download, clicked it...
    This time Microsoft File Transfer Manager came up.

This seems to be working, it has gotten to 79%, and says about two hours left.

I will post if this is a success...

Thank you all.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

If you have any update, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Hi Robinson

Thank you very much.

I think the trouble is I wasn't using IE in the beginging, once I tried IE it just worked.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Monday, November 23, 2009 8:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:22 AM
  • Hi Robinson

Thank you very much.

Why would IE be required?
    Friday, November 8, 2019 10:14 PM