Parsing Error when trying to connect to http://servername/connect RRS feed

• Question

• I have an SBS 2011 Essentials server with the following IIS configuration:

I get the following error when trying to connect to http://servername:65510/connect. Picture).

I was getting a 404 error when I realized that the virtual directory "connect" was missing and I reestablished it.  I know just enough IIS to get myself in trouble.  I do not have a backup of IIS but I do have Windows Server Backups (bare metal images) going back months.
    Thanks in advance.

Susan E. Russel

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:24 PM

Answers

• The answer is that there is no virtual connect directory under the WSS Certificate Web Server.

All the bindings for 65510 and 65515 should be done in the Default Web Site.

Microsoft fixed it for $546.00 in one hour.

Susan E. Russel

• Marked as answer by Susie2229 Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:29 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Susan,

Did you install any third-party application or update recently? Just a confirmation, thanks for your understanding.

On current situation, please run SBS BPA tool and check if find some issues. Please also use the Configuration Troubleshooter tool that Robert created to check IIS and certificate.

In addition, did you open Event Viewer and check if find any event? Please also check relevant log files if find more clues.

Key Small Business Server 2011 Essentials Log Files

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Another random 404 error with SBS virtual directories, what anti-virus are you guys using? After a quick Google Trend has apparently caused issues.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/93394725-9a68-4817-bf7c-bbdd723ce5ac/remote-web-access-sbs-2011?forum=smallbusinessserver2011essentials

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Hi Susan,

You followed the correct process to create the Connect VD. Just wanted to ask what was the path set in the Connect VD?

Also refer to

http://blog.powerbiz.net.au/fixes/httpconnect-shows-a-404-file-or-directory-not-found-error-page/

Binu Kumar - MCP, MCITP, MCTS , MBA - IT , Director Aarbin Technology Pvt Ltd - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:03 AM
  • We have a Dell Sonic Firewall that does not download anti-virus to the server.  I appreciate your help.

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:24 PM
  • Thanks so much for the reply.  No third party application has been installed.  I will download these tools and get back to you with the logs and the results.

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:25 PM
  • The path is set to C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client.
    Thanks so mcuh

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:50 PM
  • I also have a thread open with Robert. 
    http://titlerequired.com/2014/02/14/windows-server-essentialsconfiguration-troubleshooter/

Here are the four errors that I got with Configuration Checker:

1.  Certificate Authority Name:  Name Error

2.  Dashboard Certificate: Error

3.  WSS Initialization Service: Stopped (Which I can start)

4.  TCP Port 65500 (Used for CA Websites): Error (I use 65510)

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Here is the only Event ID I get that happens when I browse to the website in IIS or on a computer.
    I have redacted the following to strip out personal info.

fiLog Name:      Application

Source:        ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0

Date:          2/5/2015 12:12:23 PM

Event ID:      1310

Task Category: Web Event

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      SERVERNAME.domain.local

Description:

Event code: 3006

Event message: A parser error has occurred.

Event time: 2/5/2015 12:12:23 PM

Event time (UTC): 2/5/2015 8:12:23 PM

Event ID: 1b2df808c7be47d39e7a57e3085a5239

Event sequence: 17

Event occurrence: 3

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-1-130676406758832527

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\CertWebService\

Machine name: SERVERNAME

Process information:

Process ID: 10296

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpParseException

Exception message: Could not load type 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Client.Website.Default'.

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse()

at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp)

at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Could not load type 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Client.Website.Default'.

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetType(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnError)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessInheritsAttribute(String baseTypeName, String codeFileBaseTypeName, String src, Assembly assembly)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.PostProcessMainDirectiveAttributes(IDictionary parseData)

Request information:

Request URL: http://localhost:65510/connect/default.aspx

Request path: /connect/default.aspx

User host address: ::1

User: 

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type: 

Thread account name: DOMAIN\ADMIN

Thread information:

Thread ID: 6

Thread account name: DOMAIN\ADMIN

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace:    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile, Boolean throwIfNotFound, Boolean ensureIsUpToDate)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean throwIfNotFound)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp)

at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:  Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">1310</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>3</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-02-05T20:12:23.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>608248</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>SERVERNAME.domain.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>3006</Data>

<Data>A parser error has occurred.</Data>

<Data>2/5/2015 12:12:23 PM</Data>

<Data>2/5/2015 8:12:23 PM</Data>

<Data>1b2df808c7be47d39e7a57e3085a5239</Data>

<Data>17</Data>

<Data>3</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>/LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-1-130676406758832527</Data>

<Data>Full</Data>

<Data>/</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\CertWebService\</Data>

<Data>SERVERNAMEfi</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>10296</Data>

<Data>w3wp.exe</Data>

<Data>NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE</Data>

<Data>HttpParseException</Data>

<Data>Could not load type 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Client.Website.Default'.

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetType(String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnError)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessInheritsAttribute(String baseTypeName, String codeFileBaseTypeName, String src, Assembly assembly)

at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.PostProcessMainDirectiveAttributes(IDictionary parseData)

</Data>

<Data>http://localhost:65510/connect/default.aspx</Data>

<Data>/connect/default.aspx</Data>

<Data>::1</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>False</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>DOMAIN\ADMIN</Data>

<Data>6</Data>

<Data>DOMAIN\ADMIN</Data>

<Data>False</Data>

<Data>   at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&amp; completedSynchronously)

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Here is the SBS BPA Analysis:

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:53 PM
  • I had already been to this website.  The ISAPI-dll was already disabled on my system.  There was no CGI.exe to disable.  Is that the problem?

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Which AppPool is the /Connect Virtual Directory pointing to?

Can you also run the following commands in PowerShell:

(Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\IDENTITY").CAName
    (Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\IDENTITY").ServerName
    (Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\IDENTITY").LocalMachineCert
    (Get-ChildItem cert:\LocalMachine\My | where { $_.Subject -eq "CN=$env:COMPUTERNAME" }).Thumbprint

Post back the results.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Friday, February 6, 2015 12:12 PM
  • Here are the powershell results:

1. Coreserver-CA

2. Coreserver

3. 4AD40C8D0A60F83BB6966D6C827C0AE151E4555F

4. When I substitute Coreserver for COMPUTERNAME, it does not return any value or string.

How do I verify which AppPool is the /Connect VD pointing to?

Thanks again.

Susan E. Russel

Monday, February 9, 2015 5:31 PM
  • Is there anyone who can help me with this issue?

Susan E. Russel

Friday, February 13, 2015 9:44 PM
  • The answer is that there is no virtual connect directory under the WSS Certificate Web Server.

All the bindings for 65510 and 65515 should be done in the Default Web Site.

Microsoft fixed it for $546.00 in one hour.

Susan E. Russel

• Marked as answer by Susie2229 Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:29 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:29 AM