Screentip in Outlook Email is not showing the custom text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using Outlook 2013. In my email draft, I insert a URL hyperlink for the word "website" and create a custom screentip "click here for more details". 

I expect to see "click here for more details" when I mouse over the word "website". However, when I send this email out, the recipient just sees the URL when he mouses over the word "website".

Would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks! 

Friday, October 13, 2017 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can reproduce your this issue in Outlook 2016. But the screentip can be seen properly in OWA or other mail clients. 

After further research, I found that this is by design that the Screentips won't show up in Outlook client to avoid the link obfuscation attacks. For example, if the ScreenTips feature is available for Outlook messages, someone may add a screentip which shows the safe text for a harmful site. 

My understanding is that the Outlook product team did this for security concern of Outlook emails.  If you have more concerns about this feature, we can submit a feedback in Outlook Suggestion Box:

https://outlook.uservoice.com

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Outlook for Windows. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. 

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 6:06 AM