none
Memory capacity

Question

• Hi!

I newly installed a set of RAM, however it does not allow utilization, I found out that it is because I am using Home Premium version of Win 7.  I learn from other source that I must use Enterprise or Ultimate, but I think that i can only find Professional version on the market.  The question is if Professional version can utilize RAM the same size of Enterprise? Any suggestion on how I can upgrade from Home Premium to Professional or Enterprise?  Thanks.

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:19 AM

Answers

• Utilization of RAM depends on architecture, primarily. 32-bit (or x86) Windows has a memory limit of 4 GB (sometimes even 4 GB can't be utilized), however, 64-bit (x64) doesn't have this limit.

Coming to editions, Windows 7 Home Premium has memory limit of 16 GB for x64 and 4 GB for x86 releases. Windows 7 Professional and higher editions, x64, supports up to 192 GB of RAM.

Kindly have a look at the following link for more information:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Kindly note that Enterprise edition is not available for individual purchase.

Suggestion:

Instead of going for Windows 7 Professional, you can upgrade to Windows 10, as Windows 10 Home supports up to 128 GB. Reasons are:

1. Windows 10 upgrade is free.

2. Windows 7 is no more available for sales.

3. Windows 10 has greater support.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• Utilization of RAM depends on architecture, primarily. 32-bit (or x86) Windows has a memory limit of 4 GB (sometimes even 4 GB can't be utilized), however, 64-bit (x64) doesn't have this limit.

Coming to editions, Windows 7 Home Premium has memory limit of 16 GB for x64 and 4 GB for x86 releases. Windows 7 Professional and higher editions, x64, supports up to 192 GB of RAM.

Kindly have a look at the following link for more information:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Kindly note that Enterprise edition is not available for individual purchase.

Suggestion:

Instead of going for Windows 7 Professional, you can upgrade to Windows 10, as Windows 10 Home supports up to 128 GB. Reasons are:

1. Windows 10 upgrade is free.

2. Windows 7 is no more available for sales.

3. Windows 10 has greater support.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Hi Poormem,

As Balaji mentioned,  the utilization of RAM depend on the edition (32 or 64 bit) of Windows.

If you want to upgrade your system version, you could use the ISO image to make upgrade install.

Also, Windows anytime upgrade will also help you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/upgrade-to-another-edition-of-windows-7-by-using-windows-anytime-upgrade

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:33 AM