none
Reference Image : Without or With Office RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I use MDT 2013 U2 to deploy my Win 7.

Before reading Deployment Fundamentals volume 6, I created my reference image with only Windows 7 and nothing else.
    But after, I try to create a reference image with Windows and Office 2013. I think I will gain time when deploying PC, surely in the update of Office 2013.
    But my wim file grows from 5 Go to 12 Go !
    The C:\Windows\Installer folder grows from 192 Mo to 7.7 Go !!!

My question is :
    Is it really interesting to add software in the reference image ?

Ludovic.

Monday, May 9, 2016 11:38 AM

All replies

• Hi

Yes, it is interesting compare to deployment time.

You can run a cleanup action - so that you delete obsolete updates from the image before capturing.

In the end of your Task Sequence run this 3 action on your Windows 7 Build and Capture image:

1) Reboot

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

3) Reboot

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, May 9, 2016 11:58 AM
  • I personally leave Office OUT of the reference image. I keep my post applications consist and leave them after the OS is laid down. Now certain applications I install in the reference image such as .NET, windows updates, etc because these will rarely change. Applications that rarely get updated or legacy applications are safe. Some applications behave differently when sysprepped as well. Custom settings that you did might get reset when sysprepped.. 

Office in particular, I like to do post install to avoid any duplicate GUIDs and activation issues. But you can certainly try both methods and see about deployment time. If the difference is great then you might want to stick with what works best as far as time is concerned. Please feel free to post your results here and share!

Monday, May 9, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I leave Office out,too!

I create a folder incl. Updates with a .msp file  ->Link

and have a Task Sequence with a Command Line

Deployment: 20 Minutes

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

First try : A reference image without Office 2013 with Windows 7 with all updates
     - Deploy the reference image
     - Install Office 2013 (with SP1 in the updates folder)
     - Install updates for Office with WSUS

Total : 1 hour and 30 minutes

Second try : A reference image with Office 2013 with Windows 7 and all updates
     - Deploy the reference image

Total : 50 minutes

And I got the same PC with the two tries !

But my reference image is 5Go or 12 Go ... (Yes I have a clean task in my reference task sequence)

Ludovic

• Edited by LudovicBes Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:29 PM