none
WinXP Media Center 2002 Print Spooler stops RRS feed

• Question

• HP Pavilion a1430n (ER900AA) s/n=CNH6101C31 was recently re-imaged (by someone else) from HP recovery disks with Windows XP Media Center 2002 with sp2.

Epson PM 290 & HP Photosmart C5280 software was installed with printer CD install disks.

Trying to print to USB port Epson PhotoMate PM 290 starts to print then stops. Displays "Printers - Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running. - OK

Check Control Panel Print Spooler services & each time it is stoped. Either Restarting or Stop then Start results in the same error.

Went to Epson & HP websites & download & installed newest drivers for Epson PM 290 & HP Photosmart C5280. Able to print a single configuration page ok but then stops printing on next print job & spooler services turn off.

Downloaded & ran the MicrosoftFixit50126.msi both the simple & full options (Re-installed printer drivers from newest download from HP & Epson). Same problem.

I vagually remember having the same problem in 2006 when the printers were first installed. I received an e-mail from (HP or Microsoft ?) with a long detailed process that resolved the print spooler error. User has deleted the e-mail & thrown away the printed instructions. Google & Bing searches have found lots of 'hits' but none for this particular problem. (How often does Windows XP Media Center get re-imaged nowdays?) just not sure where to find the solution...

I KNOW there is a fix for this, but do not remember all the REGISTRY CHANGES & individual steps that I followed to fix it... 4 years ago! Suspect is has something to do with Windows XP Media Center & HP printer driver affecting print spooler... 4 years ago I upgraded Windows XP Media Center 2002 to Windows Media Center 2005 (from Microsoft website download)... still had the print spooler problem until I implemented the 'Fix' (from MS or HP?)

BTW - this not my PC, but a freinds - I've worked as a Desktop Helpdesk Tech, so I should be able to follow all instructions...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kevin Reeves

KevinRRvs@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:56 PM

All replies

• ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS -Owner RoleThe services that Microsoft provides to you are subject to the following Terms of Use (TOU). Microsoft reserves the right to update the TOU at any time without notice to you. The most current version of the TOU can be reviewed by clicking on the Terms of Use hypertext link located at the bottom of our Web pages. By accessing or using the CodePlex web site in any way, including using any Services, downloading Materials, contributing to a Project or merely browsing the CodePlex web site, you agree to and are bound by the terms of this TOU. If you do not agree to all of the terms and conditions contained in the TOU, do not access or use the CodePlex web site.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:27 AM
  • ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS-Moderator RoleThe services that Microsoft provides to you are subject to the following Terms of Use (TOU). Microsoft reserves the right to update the TOU at any time without notice to you. The most current version of the TOU can be reviewed by clicking on the Terms of Use hypertext link located at the bottom of our Web pages. By accessing or using the CodePlex web site in any way, including using any Services, downloading Materials, contributing to a Project or merely browsing the CodePlex web site, you agree to and are bound by the terms of this TOU. If you do not agree to all of the terms and conditions contained in the TOU, do not access or use the CodePlex web site.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:29 AM