Exchange 2007 vs SBS2003 and O365 RRS feed

• Question

• This one seems to fall into a number of forums so apologies if this doesn't belong here..

We have an SBS 2003 server which runs Exchange 2003, this was moved over to Exchange 2007 about 2 years or so ago and ran on there right up until we moved to O365 and federated our domain for single sign on.  Now as we manage our users on premises rather then through O365 I cannot add alias' or manage email addresses on line as O365 does not have write access back to our DC.  However, as we have moved all the mailboxes over to O365 I cannot manage them on our exchange 2007 server either as they no longer reside in the mail store.  I can manage this using ADUC on our SBS2003 server but as this is old hard ware running old software I want to decommission this server and install Windows Server 2012 with the latest Exchange version.  My main concern is that if I do will I lose the ability to manage email addresses via the email addresses tab in ADUC? or is there an alternative option?

I have already posted in the O365 forum and they pointed me here.....

regards

Dean  

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

As you are on O365 which runs Exchange 2010 (unless you have the latest version which will run 2013) you shouldn't manage any Exchange settings from ADUC as this can cause data consistency issues.  Installing Server 2012 with Exchange 2010 SP3 (when that is released) is a good idea - you will not be able to manage email addresses through ADUC (it's still a bad idea) but you can add the O365 forest into your 2010 console and manage those settings there.

Alternatively remote powershell would be my choice but this is a bit of a learning curve if you aren't familiar with it.

Cheers, Steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Hi steve,

Thanks for the reply. The issue I have is that I cannot manage anything to do with exchange on the O365 side as it consistently reports that "these settings are managed through on premises AD" and fails to perform any of the required changes, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place so to speak.  I would prefer to remove the on premises exchange entirely and manage ALL email through O365.  But in an SSO environment it seems that this is not an option.

You mention adding O365 forest to the console, is this easy enough to do?

Again using remote Powershell will n ot work as I am trying to add addresses directly on the O365 side when this is managed via On premises AD.

Unless I have my wires crossed somewhere here, I am always happy to be re-educated :)

Dean

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:51 PM