windows 2003 server installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am attempting to create a test W2K3 server using SATA drives. When I attempt to build server from W2K3 server disk,

the install doesn't recognize the exitance of the SATA drive. I do not see any special software to be loaded during the install process.

Please advise.

Sunday, October 7, 2007 5:48 PM

Answers

• The problem seems to be your SATA Controller doesn't get recognized properly and therefor no SATA disks seem to appear to install Windows onto. This may be due to several things:

• The SATA Controller is disabled in the BIOS (when the SATA Controller is onboard) or the option to boot from a SATA/SCSI Controller is disabled in the BIOS. (when the SATA Controller is an add-in card)
    • The BIOS version is out of data (when the SATA Controller is onboard) or the Firmware of the SATA Controller is out of data (when the SATA Controller is an add-in card)
    • Windows Server doesn't preload drivers for your SATA Controller.

If the last scenario is the case:

It's possible to add 3rd party drivers or updated drivers during Windows Setup by pressing F6 during the boot into text-mode Setup. (the information in the link is true for every Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 200x) You can obtain specific or updated drivers for your SATA Controller from the manufacturer of your SATA Controller.

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:07 AM