none
FAST ESP Capability RRS feed

• Question

• The Scenario: “The Chief claims officers looking to understand impact to combined ratio from the Japan earthquake.” This is for the insurance company

I have following 3 questions related to the scenario.

• I would like to know if FAST will be able to provide relevant and meaningful results for the above scenario where the environment includes combination of content, analytics, portal, training / learning, CRM, Billing etc . Will the search engine thrown up relevant results where the data may exist in disparate silos that may not be interlinked or are even in a table format (SQL Structured data).
    • Will FAST ESP need a lot of customization to generate meaning full result set for the above context that I outlined which is “The Chief claims officers looking to understand impact to combined ratio from the Japan earthquake.”
    • Is it a good practice to expose and connect business application like CRM, Billing etc to the search infrastructure ?

Sameer S Paradkar
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:23 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes it will be able to provide meaningful results from disparate silos, but you have to do some analysis on the content in order to index it "the right way".

2. You would have to analyze your input data, and how your queries should relate to it. Getting content search ready is usually most of the work in a search solution, and I would think this is where you would spend the most time in order to get good sets from your query.

3. Most definately, connection LOB applications via search is something we do all the time in projects. Finding the data and meta data that links the systems, and use this to generate results which answers questions.

If you can think about how you would results presented and combined from all your silos, then you can start to index the sources in order to achieve your end goal. It will require work for sure, but FAST is well suited for it in my opinion.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - MCTS SharePoint/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/ - http://www.comperiosearch.com/
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:28 AM