none
monthly backup tape rotation in DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using DPM with tape library. I have scheduled monthly backup in DPM for a Mailboxserver (long term and expire date set after 2 years). I checked mailbox database has been taken successfully. data size is 250 GB. but tape capacity is 800 GB.

my concern is belwo

If i keep the tape in the library itself will next month monthly backup of mailbox server will use the same tape to add data???

or will the mailbox server schdule will use different tape for monthly backup???

meantime, DPM will utilize  the  same tape for other schedules also when free tapes are not available for backup????

Please assist.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Chandru CT-HCL

Thanks Chandru CT. MCITP

Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:02 AM

All replies

• 1. click Management.

2. click Libraries.

3. click "Optimize Tape Usage" button in the toolbar.

Use the tape optimization panel to control whether tapes can be shared between protection groups, or even by a single protection group, or not.

For example, if you don't want your monthly tape backups to share tapes, simply make sure that your protection group for your mailboxserver isn't part of a tape sharing group.  (it isn't by default, so you don't need to do anything if this is what you want).

You can use the advanced button to change the amount of time a tape with data on it sits in the library before it becomes "offsite ready".  This defaults to 7 days but you can shorten this if you like.

On the other hand, if you want all data to go onto a tape until it is full, create a tape sharing group, add the protection groups to the tape sharing group, decide whether to tick the "PG with different retentions can share the same tape" option and there you go, everything onto one tape until it's full, then onto the next tape.

Also, if your exchange server has more than one database, and you want these all to go onto one tape, make sure the protection group shares tapes with itself so that this can happen.  Otherwise it's likely each database might on onto its own tape.
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 6:42 AM