none
Decomissioned old file server, attempting to back up new file server. Insufficient space in storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• We recently brought up a new 2012 file server to replace our 2008r2 file server. All went smoothly, detatched the SAN from the old server and attached it to the new one. I marked the old server as Inactive in DPM so that we can still keep the files on tape and recover from them. However, I'm trying to set up the protection group for the new server. All goes well until it tries to configure the storage pools. Apparently it still has the storage pool for the old server configured and therefore does not have enough space to set one for the new server. How can I delete the pool for the old server? I only need the data stored on tapes not on disk.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The absolute quickest way would be to:

1) Remove the disk from the new DPM servers storage pool. 

2) From an administrative command prompt Run:  diskpart.exe - then the following commands inside the diskpart shell.

list disk
    select disk #  (where # is the disk you want to wipe)
    clean
    [repeat the select and clean for all the disks you want to wipe]
    exit

3) Now re-initialize the disk(s) in disk management and then add them back into the DPM storage pool.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:03 AM