RDS File Storage Best Practices RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a virtual stack 'o servers on a single physical box.  On the physical box will be 2008r2Ent running hyper-v role; vm1 will be 2008R2 Std with the GC/DC/DHCP/DNS roles, vm2 will be WMS2011 Prem.  I anticipate approx. 33 thin clients will hook up via network.

Currently we have a file server w/approx 2tb of shared files, and an unknown amount of user personal files.

So, on the new virtual stack, where is the best place to store the public and user files? On vm2? Or should I create a vm3, run 2008 r2 std on it, and make it the file repository?

Bill Hagen, Owner That Computer Geek Newberg, OR www.thatcomputergeek.com
    Monday, July 18, 2011 8:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you have the resources I would suggest creating a VM3, install Windows Server 2008R2 on it and provide it with the FileServer Role to make it act as a dedicated FileServer. You could, if needed, later on expand this server with i.e. the PrinterServer role as well.

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Twitter
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Thanks Freek, and my apologies for the tardieness of this reply!

A VM3 sounds like the answer. Do you (does anybody here) know if having user profiles on a different VM will slow login/logout times?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Having profiles stored on a seperate server (or storage) is a common solution. It will most probaly not effect logontime in your environment much. (Depending on the physical and virtual resources) Furthermore, if you ever add another RD Session Host for High Availibility you would want to have the profiles stored seperatly because otherwise your RD Session Hosts wont be High available.

Kind regards,
    Freek Berson
    http://www.microsoftplatform.blogspot.com
    Wortell company website
    Twitter
    Friday, August 12, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Ah; good point.  Well, sounds like this is the way to go.  Thanks again!
    Friday, August 12, 2011 3:22 PM