none
Installing all Windows and Office updates via WSUS in Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi community,

I want to achieve a seemingly simple task: When I build my master image (Windows 10 Education 1803, with Office 2016 and other things), the task sequence correctly runs the step with installing updates via WSUS. However, it seems there are only security updates being installed. Office 2016 updates are completely omitted.

My unsuccsessful attempt to solve this was like this: I let the task sequence import lokal GPOs which are configured to install all reccomended updates and also optional updates then do a restart and then continue with the wsus updates process.

The following happend after the restart: the GPOs are correctly applied and the internal wsus is contacted and the usual update process starts. HOWEVER: it makes no difference. there are no Office 2016 Updates installed and only the same Windows Updates like before.

When i go into the Windows Update settings you can see that the GPOs are not yet applied correctly, since you still have the option to manually change the switch for searching for recommended updates etc. I know this behavior from previous versions where it seems that only after the first initial search for updates via internet the settings are applied in the update settings page.

What is the solution here? What am I doing wrong?

Greetings!

Correction: i didn't mean "recommended updates" but updates for other microsoft products.

if i start office afterwards, i still have to manually choose the update behavior in office... this shouldn't be, since i can see in gpedit.msc that these settings are activated.

• Edited by MdtGyver Friday, November 30, 2018 12:26 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2018 11:18 AM

Answers

• as most of the times.... the problem sits in front of the computer...

the applying of the gpos including settings with the update behaviour, though nothing regarding with wsus, had the impact that the wsus server was somehow not even used as update source. now, with gpos applied but without any settings in the windows update behaviour it works as it always did...

it never crossed my mind to even check if the wsus server was being contacted, since there were updates being downloaded.

it connected to microsoft online updates instead and downloaded according to the settings in the system.

stupid, stupid stupid.....

• Marked as answer by MdtGyver Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:37 PM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 6:37 PM