Very Slow Log on after Win 7 SP1 installation ! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently updated my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with SP1. Service Pack installation went well without any issues. However, I have noticed that, Win 7 takes very long time for the log on. When I power on my machine, it takes at least 5 min to log on to the computer.

This machine is not in domain and I am using this in work group. 

I am using Symantec Endpoint Point Protection 11 as AV client and its updated till date. I can assure that, machine is completely clean without any malwares or adwares.

I tried deleting temporary files and even stopped some services but in vain.

Any help in troubleshooting this issue would be really helpful.

Thanks

~ Knowledge Seeker
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:51 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion Arthur.

Here is what I have done so far.

Disabled AV, rebooted machine to see if it helps but no luck.

I uninstalled AV client completely but in vain. Issue occurred again.

However, I believe I know the root cause now.

I was using a newly created user profile o this machine which must have some unknown issues. What I have done now is, re installed AV,  I logged on with default local administrator account, renamed the existing profile. Logged in using my local ID. system created a new profile. I rebooted the machine, Bingo ! every thing came back to normal as earlier, I mean to say, now am able to log on to the machine quickly )it takes 60-80 seconds to logon).

~ Knowledge Seeker
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:24 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:38 AM

All replies

• I had similar issues...

I followed below steps which resolved my problems.

Run Disk Cleanup wizard on C drive and delete the files especially Service Pack Back up files and other files whichever are applicable.

Also, following registry change helped me speedup the log on process.

Ref: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1278091.htm

~Santosh View Santosh  Bhandarkar's profile on LinkedIn
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I have followed the steps and now I can observe little improvement However, issue is not resolved completely !

Perhaps, registry change did a good job; I can notice that the applications which are in start up loads much quickly than before but the machine log on time has not changed significantly, still it takes 4 to 5 min to get into the operating system.

Precisely speaking, Windows bubbles which glows with the message Starting Windows appears for more than 3 to 4 min before I get log on screen to to enter my user name and password.

Prior to SP1 installation, I didnt have this issue.

I am marking your reply has helpful.

~ Knowledge Seeker
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:25 AM
  • I have noticed one issue on Win 7 SP1. Installed apps hangs all of sudden when working on them. For example MS Word, Outlook, Adobe Reader etc... hangs now and then. I have very limited applications installed on this machine such MS Office, Adobe Reader, 7Zip, AV client, Windows Virtual PC. There is no particular pattern for this application freeze however, when it occurs I won't have any other choice but to terminate the frozen application through task manager. Even at times, Task Manager goes not responding; in such situations, I will have to hard boot the machine.

Any suggestions here please ? 

~ Knowledge Seeker
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:20 AM
  • I'm having this issue as well except mine only does it when I'm undocked with my laptop. When I press CTRL, ALT, DEL, to enter my credentials, sometims it takes up to 5 minutes before I get logged in. Again, this only happens while I am undocked. I'm running a clean install of Windows 7 RTM. Anyone else having this issue or have any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Please temporarily disable antivirus and check the result. If the issue does not occur this time, you may reinstall the antivirus and see if it can resolve the issue.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Arthur.

Here is what I have done so far.

Disabled AV, rebooted machine to see if it helps but no luck.

I uninstalled AV client completely but in vain. Issue occurred again.

However, I believe I know the root cause now.

I was using a newly created user profile o this machine which must have some unknown issues. What I have done now is, re installed AV,  I logged on with default local administrator account, renamed the existing profile. Logged in using my local ID. system created a new profile. I rebooted the machine, Bingo ! every thing came back to normal as earlier, I mean to say, now am able to log on to the machine quickly )it takes 60-80 seconds to logon).

~ Knowledge Seeker
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:24 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:38 AM