Dynamic Suite Composition with Oracle Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to use Oracle Client as a dependent package. My application ("MyApp") needs the Oracle client. If I sequence MyApp and Oracle together into one package, everything works fine, but I have no gotten DSC to work after many attempts.

I install and configure the Oracle client locally on the machine, then sequence MyApp into a package. MyApp launches and runs fine during sequencing. I then wipe and reload the sequencer machine, and sequence the Oracle client. At this point in the launching phase of sequencing I am confronted with a series of executables that I could launch, but I don't want any launched, I just need Oracle to be available. However I can't delete all the entries or else the Next button is greyed out, so I choose some Oracle app or other like Net Manager to be the exe.

After copying both packages to the server, I run the Dynamic Suite Composition tool to make MyApp dependent on Oracle, but when I launch from a test client I get an Oracle DLL error. This happens whether or not I mark Oracle as Mandatory, though my understanding is that nothing should need to be launched in the Oracle client, so a mandatory designation should not be necessary.

What am I doing wrong, and/or can anyone outline a recipe for doing this correctly?! Thanks.

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Consider that fact that any configuration svaed in the OSD-file is not transferred, such as environment variables...
    /Znack
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Hi znack,

Forgive my being dense, but what do you mean "browse to the secondary package from the primary package"? For future reference I'm all ears for basic troubleshooting steps.

That said I believe I figured out my stup- er, I mean error. Based on verbiage in error messages using the word "package" I had assumed that since the primary OSD called out the secondary package, all should be well...so I never created an *application* for the secondary Oracle package since that was never going to run on its own. Once I did that it no longer complained about the missing DLL, so it looks good. I've yet to verify it works completely since I may currently have a database access error that may be unrelated to the software itself, but it's definitely getting further and clearly downloaded rather large (> 1GB) Oracle portion.

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:40 PM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Consider that fact that any configuration svaed in the OSD-file is not transferred, such as environment variables...
    /Znack
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Just to give a little more info to Znack's answer - I suspect that you're missing a PATH statement or ENV variable from the Oracle client OSD - you need to incorporate these into the OSD for the primary app..
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:25 PM
  • The fact that you are prompted to launch Oracle applications is not critical. Anyway I would do the launch (but don't invest time in making any useful with the applications)

Beyond the environment variable settings that Znack and Danny mentioned,

- make sure Oracle was installed exactly the same way during Sequencing and during DSC-prep-installation

- be aware that the Dependency overrules the Target application. That means that (just for a very wild guess) both packages contain a configuration file (.ini file or maybe TNSnames.ora) at the same location (let's say: C:\Windows\..). the DSC-INI is the one that will be visible to the application (not the one from the Target (or leading) Package. So you should check if there are any conflicts there.

Falko
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but still no luck. Here are the unmodified OSDs, and then the OSD for the primary package after running the DSC tool:

Primary package, unmodified OSD:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="B97D3254-331D-4FB4-AFB8-0633672C5B75" NAME="CCaR 10.6.2" VERSION="10.6.2.1">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://APPVSERVER:554/CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone.sft" GUID="1E650EBE-4719-4590-9DDC-CFBC8C10E880" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="CCaR1062.STA\ccar.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="CCaR1062.STA\osguard.cp" SIZE="353649675"/>
      <WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\CCaR1062.STA\</WORKINGDIR>
      <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
       <ENVLIST/>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista64"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <PACKAGE NAME="CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone"/>
     <ABSTRACT>No Oracle included</ABSTRACT>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\IDS\CCaR" FILENAME="CCaR 10.6.2.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="CCaR 10.6.2" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone Icons/CCaR 10.6.2 10.6.2.1.ico"/>
     </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST/>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

Oracle client package:

<SOFTPKG GUID="543E385C-875E-4994-9A9F-C7205A7F27DC" NAME="Net Manager" VERSION="1.0">
     <IMPLEMENTATION>
      <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://APPVSERVER:554/Oracle 10.2.0.3.sft" GUID="266C64D0-FC4C-4A3B-814C-FF267406A8C3" PARAMETERS="&quot;%SFT_MNT%\Ora10203\network\tools&quot; ..\network\tools\netmgr.cl" FILENAME="Ora10203\bin\launch.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="Ora10203\osguard.cp" SIZE="1063901054"/>
       <ENVLIST>
        <ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="PATH">%SFT_MNT%\Ora10203\bin;%PATH%;</ENVIRONMENT>
       </ENVLIST>
      </VIRTUALENV>
      <WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\Ora10203\bin</WORKINGDIR>
      <VM VALUE="Win32">
       <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
      </VM>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinVista64"/>
      <OS VALUE="WinXP"/>
     </IMPLEMENTATION>
     <DEPENDENCY>
      <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0"/>
     </DEPENDENCY>
     <PACKAGE NAME="Oracle 10.2.0.3"/>
     <ABSTRACT>Standalone Oracle Client to be used as dependent package.</ABSTRACT>
     <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST/>
     <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
      <PROGIDLIST/>
      <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
     </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

Primary package after running Dynamic Suite Composition tool:

<SOFTPKG GUID="B97D3254-331D-4FB4-AFB8-0633672C5B75" NAME="CCaR 10.6.2" VERSION="10.6.2.1">
      <IMPLEMENTATION>
        <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://APPVSERVER:554/CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone.sft" GUID="1E650EBE-4719-4590-9DDC-CFBC8C10E880" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="CCaR1062.STA\ccar.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="CCaR1062.STA\osguard.cp" SIZE="353649675" />
        <WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\CCaR1062.STA\</WORKINGDIR>
          <DEPENDENCIES>
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://APPVSERVER:554/Oracle 10.2.0.3.sft" GUID="266C64D0-FC4C-4A3B-814C-FF267406A8C3" PARAMETERS="&quot;%SFT_MNT%\Ora10203\network\tools&quot; ..\network\tools\netmgr.cl" FILENAME="Ora10203\bin\launch.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="Ora10203\osguard.cp" SIZE="1063901054" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
          </DEPENDENCIES>
          <ENVLIST />
        </VIRTUALENV>
        <VM VALUE="Win32">
          <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows" />
        </VM>
        <OS VALUE="WinVista" />
        <OS VALUE="WinVista64" />
        <OS VALUE="WinXP" />
      </IMPLEMENTATION>
      <DEPENDENCY>
        <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0" />
      </DEPENDENCY>
      <PACKAGE NAME="CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone" />
      <ABSTRACT>No Oracle included</ABSTRACT>
      <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
        <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\IDS\CCaR" FILENAME="CCaR 10.6.2.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="CCaR 10.6.2" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/CCaR 10.6.2.1 Standalone Icons/CCaR 10.6.2 10.6.2.1.ico" />
      </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
      <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
        <PROGIDLIST />
        <FILEEXTENSIONLIST />
      </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

The only thing I see in the Oracle client OSD is

<ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="PATH">%SFT_MNT%\Ora10203\bin;%PATH%;</ENVIRONMENT>

which hasn't helped when I put into the modified primary package's OSD. It still errors out due to not finding a DLL which is in the Ora10203\bin folder. Having installed it umpteen times, I'm quite sure I installed the Oracle client the same way in every case.

Friday, April 9, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Hello,

1. When the above variable is available in the primary package, is the suite working? Meaning, can you browse to the secondary package from the primary package?

2. Before receiving the error - have you used PROCMON within the virtual environment to determine where it looks for the file?

/Znack

Friday, April 9, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Hello,

1. When the above variable is available in the primary package, is the suite working? Meaning, can you browse to the secondary package from the primary package?

2. Before receiving the error - have you used PROCMON within the virtual environment to determine where it looks for the file?

/Znack

Friday, April 9, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Hi znack,

Forgive my being dense, but what do you mean "browse to the secondary package from the primary package"? For future reference I'm all ears for basic troubleshooting steps.

That said I believe I figured out my stup- er, I mean error. Based on verbiage in error messages using the word "package" I had assumed that since the primary OSD called out the secondary package, all should be well...so I never created an *application* for the secondary Oracle package since that was never going to run on its own. Once I did that it no longer complained about the missing DLL, so it looks good. I've yet to verify it works completely since I may currently have a database access error that may be unrelated to the software itself, but it's definitely getting further and clearly downloaded rather large (> 1GB) Oracle portion.

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, April 10, 2010 7:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:40 PM
    Friday, April 9, 2010 11:00 PM