none
How to have Outlook 2013 use the default tiles mail, calendar, contacts?

Question

• Hi together,

is there any way to have the default Win8 mail tile open Outllok 2013-Mail, the calendar tile open the Outllok calendar and so on?

Regards Stefan

Sunday, October 28, 2012 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi, Creating a tile is not the Problem... The tile should Show updates like New Mails.

Regards Stefan

Only Windows 8 apps using WinRT can have live tiles.

Outlook 2013 isn't a WinRT apps. You should use the Mail apps (that can use any Exchange server) instead.

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, November 5, 2012 3:05 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• Hello, Stefan!

The Mail tile is a part of APPX package, more specifically:

Apps: Mail, Calendar, People, and Messaging

App Package: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_16.4.4396.1016_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

App Host: C:\windows\system32\wwahost.exe

In other words, it isn't a shortcut to an application, it's the application itself, it includes all the four apps.

I am using Outlook 2013 and as far as I can see, it cannot fetch data from People app unlike Mail app that makes use of this People app. More too say, if the Mail app fails to fetch data from People app (like when you have connection issues which you may encounter if you are working on Windows 8 behind a corporate proxy server that requires NTLM authentication), you want be able to add contacts in Mail app.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Just pin Outlook to the home screen?
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi, Creating a tile is not the Problem... The tile should Show updates like New Mails.

Regards Stefan

Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:21 PM
  • I agree and I hope this is folded in so that you can simply choose your default PIM/mail handler and have it be aware; being that they are both MS products I would have assumed this would be possible already but unfortunately it's not.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:44 PM

Regards Stefan

Only Windows 8 apps using WinRT can have live tiles.

Outlook 2013 isn't a WinRT apps. You should use the Mail apps (that can use any Exchange server) instead.

• Proposed as answer by AnthonyDa Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, November 5, 2012 3:05 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:35 PM
  • I am coming in on this a little late but, can I use my POP Email service from Outlook 2013, and propagate the "Mail" block within the "blocks" that are shown when I open up the desktop of Windows 10?

dickstub

Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:10 PM