none
DPM 2010 tape usage and rotation with single tape drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm evaluating DPM 2010 for our backup.

The short term protection with disk is fine, but for long term protection using tapes I do have some questions.

I like to use a GFS rotation schema with 12 monthly-tapes, 5 weekly-tapes and 5 daily-tapes with a single LTO tape drive (no library).

The daily-tapes should be used on monday-thursday (I need 5 to get around the minimum retention time of 1 week for daily backups to tape, right?). On Friday I use a weekly-tape, on every last day of a month a monthly-tape.

For this I would set the retention time for the daily-tapes to 1 week, 4 weeks for the weekly-tapes and 11 month for the monthly-tapes. Will this work? Will DPM reuse and overwrite the tapes if I change them accordingly (daily mo-th, weekly 1-5, monthly jan-dec)?

If I where to use multiple PG I would enable co-location. Would that be a problem with rotating the tapes?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:37 PM

Answers

• When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed"

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 5:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You will need a minimum of two tape drives to accomplish your goals.  DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply. I already tried setting up PGs with these settings, but I did not receive any warning.

What do you mean by "DPM does tape copies"? Will these copies require extra space on the tape?  By now we are using about 80% of our tape capacity (with another backup solution). I guessed DPM would always copy the lastest backup (recovery point) from the storagepool to tape, is it not?

Greetings,
    Thomas

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:22 AM
  • When you go throught the PG Wizard for a PG that has two or more long-term recovery goals specified, and you only have a single tape drive, on the "Specifylibrary and tape details" page, you should see a yellow ! with "Please ensure that there are a minimum of two tape drives or two tape libraries for copy backups to succeed"

Monday, December 27, 2010 5:25 PM
  • You will need a minimum of two tape drives to accomplish your goals.  DPM does tape copies of daily tapes to make the weekly tape, and copies of the weekly tape to make the monthly tapes.  You should see a warning when you go throught the PG Wizard if you only have a single tape drive.

Ok, now I got it. But it doesn't make much sense to me. I don't want to make a copy of a tape. I want DPM to copy the latest data from the storagepool to the tape. But I don't think it is posibily to change that behaviour?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:46 AM