Lync MSN federation does not work with a sip access FQDN that is 4 levels deep, but 3 levels works fine RRS feed

• Question

• When I use an edge server sip access FQDN that is 4 levels deep (sip.mysub.mycompany.com) with MSN provisioning, federation doesn't work and all MSN contacts in the Lync contact list become unknown; I have also waited weeks following the successful provisioning.  If I change the edge server sip access FQDN to only 3 levels deep (sip.mycompany.com), then federation works perfectly and I see all my MSN contacts and their presence, and I did't have to wait following a successful provisioning email.

I would prefer to stick to the 4 level deep FQDN because that is also the sip domain and is also the real AD.  In addition, Lync sign-in addresses are also the same FQDN so that Lync client automatic login works internally and externally.  The sip.mysub.mycompany.com FQDN is both internally and externally routable.

I want to add that I do have 2 different SSL certificates covering the 4 level and 3 level FQDNs for testing.
    • Edited by Solignis Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:04 PM Additional Info
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi johnny,

It may due to incorrect provisioning. Please make sure you provision the right sip domain. If possible, you could try to re-provision for PIC with MSN.

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Monday, December 26, 2011 10:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, December 30, 2011 7:47 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi johnny,

It may due to incorrect provisioning. Please make sure you provision the right sip domain. If possible, you could try to re-provision for PIC with MSN.

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Monday, December 26, 2011 10:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Friday, December 30, 2011 7:47 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:17 AM
  • MSN federation just started to work one day after giving up and leaving the FQDN sip access domain at 4 levels deep for few weeks.  I was surprised one morning when I got a Lync notification that a  previous MSN user have added me.  The bottom line is that MSN federation does work with FQDN that are 4 levels deep, but it may take a few additional weeks following the initial provisioning success email.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:47 PM