none
Driver managment in MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start by saying I'm trying to follow Johan's deployment book as best as I can for my situation. He suggests creating Make\Model folders and later using a DriverGroup variable value of %MakeAlias\ModelAlias%.

The thing is I deal will all Dell computers and get my drivers from: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx#ComboCabs  and I use the Combo CAB files because downloading each model (they share lots of the same drivers) would be a waste of time and disk space.

How can I get those combo cabs to work with Johan's driver group variable? Do I abandon the suggestion and just include all out of the box drivers?

For what it's worth Dell's PE drivers are not architecture separated either. I need to support Windows 7 and 8. I'm running Server 2012 R2 and MDT 2013

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:14 PM

Answers

• One thing to keep in mind is that MDT will not import duplicate drivers unless you specifically tell it to do so. Instead, MDT will "point" to the driver location in the OOB drivers folder. As such, you can use the Make/Model method without duplicate drivers eating up disk space - there won't be any duplicate drivers.

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by Dan_Vega Friday, October 25, 2013 7:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Well I feel stupid. I had the wrong copy of the ModelAliasExit.vbs file, it was not the one from Johan's Hydration Kit (Volume 4). Now that I've fixed my mistake the drivers are indeed injecting as they should.

By the way it is this script that takes the different Dell names and uses an alias of just plain "Dell".

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 25, 2013 7:25 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

• this is a post to extract driver collection outbox I hope and Icanserve orgivea better idea

http://blogs.itpro.es/octaviordz/2013/10/19/extraer-los-drivers-fuera-de-linea-caja-de-windows-8-e-integrarlos-con-mdt-2012/

Freelance-IT http://www.freelance-it.com.mx

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:18 PM
  • My Spanish is rusty but, you videos are very basic on how to import drivers. I know how to do that, I've been using MDT for three years. I want to incorporate the driver group variables but how can I do that if the driver structure isn't created per model. If there's no way to follow Johan's method using the combo drivers then I'll just go back to the way I was doing it. Which was using a selection profile and just inject the PE drivers and letting sysprep work out the rest.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:43 PM
  • One thing to keep in mind is that MDT will not import duplicate drivers unless you specifically tell it to do so. Instead, MDT will "point" to the driver location in the OOB drivers folder. As such, you can use the Make/Model method without duplicate drivers eating up disk space - there won't be any duplicate drivers.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Nick,

That's good to know, but the cab files are about 1GB in size for each model and I'd need to support about 60 models of laptops, desktops and tablets. That's why I wanted to use the combo cabs. I guess I can start with just a few models and slowly expand. We have systems that range from ~6 years old to the latest and greatest. I'll test out the make/model method.

If anyone who sees this deals with a lot of Dell systems, please let me know if you have any tips or tricks. Thanks!

Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:07 PM
  • I keep x86 and x64 drivers for 23 Dell Models and my store is 7.86 gb. I download individual cabs, expand them with 7-zip and save the x86 and x64 folders to separate locations Then I import them into MDT from there.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Yeah I'm just going to bite the bullet and do that.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:56 PM
  • One suggestion is forget the combo drivers and add the drivers you need to each folder, per model. Then use a script to import them. By default, as stated above, MDT will not import duplicates.

I have a post here on driver management.

LTI/ZTI Deployments: Injecting drivers during deployment

My scripts will create the folder structure and import the drivers creating the selection profiles. If you run the script another time, it will only import newer drivers.

Hope this helps.

/Andrew

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try. I'll need to dig up the info Johan had written about Dell because they have different variations on their vendor name...*sigh*
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:16 PM
  • I just tried Andrews script on a test share and it worked great. Although his blog made it sound as if the -DriverPath  -DeploymentShare switches were optional, in my case I had to specify everything. Maybe I just misread.

All the Dell products I know of are listed in WMI as "Dell, Inc." - Which is interesting, because I'm unable to create folders in NTFS that end with a ".". So the NTFS folders and consequently the MDT folders are all listed as "Dell, Inc", which doesn't match WMI due to the missing period.

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Well I feel stupid. I had the wrong copy of the ModelAliasExit.vbs file, it was not the one from Johan's Hydration Kit (Volume 4). Now that I've fixed my mistake the drivers are indeed injecting as they should.

By the way it is this script that takes the different Dell names and uses an alias of just plain "Dell".

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 25, 2013 7:25 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Saturday, November 2, 2013 10:56 PM