Workgroup NAP Client question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Firstly - AFAIK all these enforcements methods can be used by workgroup clients (non-domain joined):
    1. DHCP
    2. IPSec
    3. VPN
    4. 802.1x
    5. TS Gateway
    6. DirectAccess (needs domain membership)

Am I correct?

Secondly:
    How does the NAP client, on a workgroup machine actually find the NPS server? Broadcasts? Unicast? How?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

You are correct.

As a first step, you need to enable the NAPAGENT service on the client either by in person or via some script shared in the common place. Each enforcements has it own method of finding the NPS Server.
      Here is the link for NAP Platform Architecture  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/cc984186.aspx , which give you more information about these.

Feel free to ask us any further questions you have.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    • Marked as answer by D Wind Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

You are correct.

As a first step, you need to enable the NAPAGENT service on the client either by in person or via some script shared in the common place. Each enforcements has it own method of finding the NPS Server.
      Here is the link for NAP Platform Architecture  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/cc984186.aspx , which give you more information about these.

Feel free to ask us any further questions you have.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    • Marked as answer by D Wind Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks RamaSubbu...I do recall reading this paper a while ago...but obviously have forgotten bits and pieces of it.

Will look at it again.

Regards,
    Tom
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:57 AM