Windows 7 Password Hint RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody out there know where in the Windows 7 registry I can find reference to the a users password hint.   I am at a loss where to find it.   I need to be able to view it in a registry examination tool.    Thanks a lot.   I
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:57 PM

Answers

• Windows doesn't provide password hints. If a user forgets his/her password, only an administrator can change the password for them.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:48 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Windows doesn't provide password hints. If a user forgets his/her password, only an administrator can change the password for them.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:48 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:44 PM
  • According some sources I looked up on Registry forensic artificats, you find it at SAM\Domains\Account\Users\<RID>\F_Value \UserPasswordHint. Please check the following link for more information.

http://accessdata.com/downloads/media/Registry%20Quick%20Find%20Chart%20%207-22-08.pdf

Let me know if you get anywhere with this.  I'm actually trying to find the exact same information and using the Registry Examination tool I have, I haven't been able to determine whether or not there is a Password hint or if I'm looking in the wrong place entirely.

• Proposed as answer by dp60006 Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:40 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:12 PM