Does Realtek ALC888 need a driver in Vista SP2? RRS feed

• Question

• I found realtek alc888 automatically works after the installation of Vista SP2(32bit). It's great since I don't need to install driver that including some unnecessary services and start-up program. Today when I try to use the "Creative EAX 2" audio setting in Warcraft III, it said the system don't support this effect, but it works on Windows XP after I install the realtek driver. Do I have to install that driver again for alc888 working properly on Vista? Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please try the latest version of the Realtek alc888 driver.

High Definition Audio Codecs

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I also noticed that “3D SoundBack Beta 0.1” mentioned that “Realtek 3D SoundBack restores audio effects, including surround sound, reverberation, and spatial effects, for legacy game titles when running on Windows Vista.”. You may also try it.

Considering the issue is related to hardware, it is also recommended that you contact your computer’s manufacture or Realtek for technical support.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:49 AM