none
DPM to DPM move RRS feed

• Question

• if you are doing a DPM recovery to different hardware.  Do your disk storage pools have to be configured exactly the same as on the orginal server?

Example:  DPM1 - disk 0 is the OS, DPMDB, and Disk1 is the storage pool.  I take a backup of the dpm db and export that out.

On the new DPM1 server Disk 0 is the OS, Disk 1 is for the DPM DB, Disk 2 is the storage pool.  I can restore the db, perform a resync, but when I go to reallocate replica, it fails saying there isnt'enough space, despite the fact the storage pool volume disk is larger than before and empty.  My initial guess is that it is trying to do ar reallocate replica on disk1 and can't. The event log error basically says it can't allocate enough free space. 

Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

No- there is no requirement that the disks on the system have to match.  As long as the total capacity of the disk(s) you added to the storage pool after running dpmsync -sync is equal or greater than the original server, then dpmsync -reallocatereplica should be able to re-create the volumes.

1) Check to make sure the disk(s) you added to the storage pool are unallocated free space (no volumes).

2) If the disk(s) added to the storage pool are over 2TB, then you must manually convert the disk(s) to GPT before adding them to the storage pool, else Windows will only allow DPM to use 2TB and the rest will be wasted space. This will cause problems for DPM trying to use the space exceeding the 2TB MBR disk limit.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:58 AM