none
EPM2007 - time-out when converting proposal to project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We are running into a time-out message problem when converting a proposal to a project.  Project Web Access cannot connect to Project Server because the connection time out. For more information contact your system administrator. Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

Any suggestions?

Marcel Visscher

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:28 AM

Answers

• Hello Micheal,

Just for finalizing this issue. here is the answer from Microsoft regarding this issue, 110090149327205 PSVR2007 Proposals page timeout:

As Jorge mentions, my name is Trevor and I am an Escalation Engineer for Project Server.  I am also currently the acting Escalation Manager for Project Server in the EMEA region.

I have discussed your issue at length with Jorge and it is a behaviour with which I am well acquainted.  I see that Jorge has already sent to you all of the available information we have on this issue, including the link to the TechNet article.  I see that he has already sent to you all the known alternative solutions to the problem at hand.  From a functional viewpoint this is the absolute and final answer, as you are already aware.

Further background I can give you on this issue is that the reason that I am well acquainted with the issue is that I was the first Escalation Engineer to work on this when it became known.  At that time I worked directly with Escalation Engineer colleagues in the US and with the Project Server Product Group.  At the time (roughly one year ago) it was decided that I would raise an official hotfix request on behalf of that customer such that we would be able to get a definitive answer from the Product Group.

The answer from the Product Group was that, obviously, the hotfix request was rejected.  The reason why it was rejected can be simply explained by this following snippet from the hotfix Product Manager,

“Any software solution to this would require a major change to the design which cannot be accomplished and released during a Hotfix or Service Pack cycle.”

That is to say, the underlying architecture of the feature prevents any changes being reasonably and safely made.  It was at this stage that the information that is currently on TechNet was first created.

I have copied below the bulk of the ‘case closure’ email I sent to that customer which is, effectively, how we will also eventually close/archive this support incident

The incident will be closed free of charge, of course.

A case summary is below;

ACTION:
    In PWA, load the "Proposals and Activities" PWA page.

RESULT:
    Dues to the large number of items to be loaded by the page, it takes almost 2
    minutes to load.

CAUSE:
    This behaviour is completely by design and is explained in the linked TechNet
    article;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197488.aspx

RESOLUTION:
    The best practices on working with this feature are also discussed in the TechNet
    article;

I hope that this information shows that we do take this issue very seriously but it is not possible to change it with the architecture of Project Server 2007.

Regarding the recently released  Project Server 2010 version, this specific feature no longer actually exists (similar behaviour does exist but it is slightly different) and we are not aware of there being any similar issues with this feature in the 2010 version.

I hope that this fully answers your outstanding questions and helps in appeasing your client.  Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to help.

If there is nothing further, I will leave it to Jorge to work with you on closing/archiving the support incident.

Kind regards,

Trevor

Trevor Turner  |  Escalation Engineer & EMEA Project Server Escalation Manager  |  EMEA Global Technical Support Centre  |  Microsoft Product Support Services

Friday, October 29, 2010 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hello Marcel

You are going to have to put on your analysis hat to determine the problem.  I would start by looking into your ULS log files, Window event logs and the SQL logs.  My hunch is that something in your security model is not working properly and it is waiting for an acknowledgement.

Check that you accounts are not suspended or the password expire etc.

If this is only occuring during the conversion of proposal to project, then it may be something in your custom fields.

I hope that gets you getting.

MIchael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Hello Micheal,

Just for finalizing this issue. here is the answer from Microsoft regarding this issue, 110090149327205 PSVR2007 Proposals page timeout:

As Jorge mentions, my name is Trevor and I am an Escalation Engineer for Project Server.  I am also currently the acting Escalation Manager for Project Server in the EMEA region.

I have discussed your issue at length with Jorge and it is a behaviour with which I am well acquainted.  I see that Jorge has already sent to you all of the available information we have on this issue, including the link to the TechNet article.  I see that he has already sent to you all the known alternative solutions to the problem at hand.  From a functional viewpoint this is the absolute and final answer, as you are already aware.

Further background I can give you on this issue is that the reason that I am well acquainted with the issue is that I was the first Escalation Engineer to work on this when it became known.  At that time I worked directly with Escalation Engineer colleagues in the US and with the Project Server Product Group.  At the time (roughly one year ago) it was decided that I would raise an official hotfix request on behalf of that customer such that we would be able to get a definitive answer from the Product Group.

The answer from the Product Group was that, obviously, the hotfix request was rejected.  The reason why it was rejected can be simply explained by this following snippet from the hotfix Product Manager,

“Any software solution to this would require a major change to the design which cannot be accomplished and released during a Hotfix or Service Pack cycle.”

That is to say, the underlying architecture of the feature prevents any changes being reasonably and safely made.  It was at this stage that the information that is currently on TechNet was first created.

I have copied below the bulk of the ‘case closure’ email I sent to that customer which is, effectively, how we will also eventually close/archive this support incident

The incident will be closed free of charge, of course.

A case summary is below;

ACTION:
    In PWA, load the "Proposals and Activities" PWA page.

RESULT:
    Dues to the large number of items to be loaded by the page, it takes almost 2
    minutes to load.

CAUSE:
    This behaviour is completely by design and is explained in the linked TechNet
    article;

RESOLUTION:
    The best practices on working with this feature are also discussed in the TechNet
    article;

I hope that this information shows that we do take this issue very seriously but it is not possible to change it with the architecture of Project Server 2007.

Regarding the recently released  Project Server 2010 version, this specific feature no longer actually exists (similar behaviour does exist but it is slightly different) and we are not aware of there being any similar issues with this feature in the 2010 version.

I hope that this fully answers your outstanding questions and helps in appeasing your client.  Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to help.

If there is nothing further, I will leave it to Jorge to work with you on closing/archiving the support incident.

Kind regards,

Trevor

Trevor Turner  |  Escalation Engineer & EMEA Project Server Escalation Manager  |  EMEA Global Technical Support Centre  |  Microsoft Product Support Services

Friday, October 29, 2010 11:47 AM