BSOD Error as Windows Load RRS feed

• Question

• My friend Astra receives the following BSOD error and there is no filename association provided:

STOP: 0x0000008e (0xC0000005, 0x8665126E, 0xB1691AEC, 0x00000000)

I booted to Safe Mode and viewed the System Event Logs and the last process runnning before the BSOD was a Windows Update.  I recall it being an error entry but instead of writing it down, I started doing research on the Internet about it and failed to go back and document what I read in the event logs.  I also didn't check if she had SP3 or if maybe the problem is related to an upgrade to SP3.....

Despite my shortcomings above, I am hoping that if I provide the Minidump and System Information Files, someone might be able to help me figure out what happened to create the BSOD.  I uploaded the Minidump files and the System Info files to my SkyDrive in zipped folders.

Here is the link:

http://sdrv.ms/MEkb0m

Thanks in advance for you time and your help.

Ron.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

The stop code refers to memory (RAM) page faulting issues.

I suspect that either one of your RAM sticks are faulty or you have a mismatch or incompatibility.

Sometimes if you have more ram than the OS can handle it can cause such error (See Windows Memory Maximums: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)

I would suggest you strip down the RAM and start with just one stick, and swap/change to see if the situation improves.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:41 AM
  • I will be visiting her on Thursday, so I will let you know as soon as I can.  Wonder if dust might be an issue.....  This computer is more than a few years old and hasn't been moved or changed in at least a year, so this came out of the blue. No pun intended....
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Sorry took so long to respond.  I didn't find it to be a hardware issue.  However, the HD has 3 partitions and one of them was dedicated to be a temporary drive and also contained a secondary paging file.  I do remember a few of the reboots required a disk check to be made on that partition, so I booted to safe mode and removed the paging file on the partition via the advanced settings in the performance section of the system properties.

The computer did proceed to go farther during the next normal startup, but still ended with a BSOD.  However, this time I received a file name reference which was associated with the Mcafee antivirus program.

Uninstalled Mcafee in safe mode and was able to boot normally next bootup with no BSOD.

Decided to install Avast antivirus and Avast found 8 viruses.....

So I assume the viruses knocked out Mcafee and corrupted the temporary partition.

Reformatted temporary partition and restored the secondary paging file.

Everything OK now.

Thanks for your response as I think the key was the removal of the second paging file that was probably corrupted...

Ron.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:36 AM