Windows 7 stalls during boot after XMP is enabled RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue where if I enable the Intel Extreme Memory Profile, or XMP, in the BIOS my Windows 7 x64 stalls at the Starting Windows animation screen for about 60 seconds.  Afterwards, the system boots normally and runs fine. 

If I disable XMP in bios, then Windows boots fast without the hang.  As soon as I enable XMP again, the stall returns.

I have checked to make sure no USB devices are installed at the same time so it is not a USB device causing the stall.

Clearly windows 7 does not like it when I enable XMP.  It seems there must be something that Windows is trying to do that puts it into some sort of waiting state when XMP gets enabled.  Any suggestions?

• Edited by vinifera Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:48 AM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:44 AM

Answers

• What is the relationship between your XMP situation and USB devices?  It would be helpful if you would explain why you brought that up.

Not all systems have the problem with a USB device during boot.  It is unique to certain hardware configurations and it would be virtually impossible for Microsoft to accommodate every conceivable hardware configuration in the world.

I have never encountered the problem with any system I have ever worked with.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, December 9, 2013 3:09 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 11:30 AM

All replies

• Contact Intel Technical Support for this problem as they are best qualified to advise you about your options.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, November 30, 2013 11:45 AM
  • It's a startup problem.  Also, even if I manually set the timing it still happens. 
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Start-up problem = hardware problem, not Windows 7.

You need to contact Intel Technical Support about this or contact the Te4chnical Support of the motherboard for more information.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Even though the system operates perfectly once it's running and reports no other issues?

I have seen stalls similar to this caused because Windows couldn't figure out how to enumerate or handle a USB device and the issue could be resolved by moving the USB device to a different port.  This seems like windows is just confused and then eventually boots just fine.

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:14 AM
  • What is the relationship between your XMP situation and USB devices?  It would be helpful if you would explain why you brought that up.

Not all systems have the problem with a USB device during boot.  It is unique to certain hardware configurations and it would be virtually impossible for Microsoft to accommodate every conceivable hardware configuration in the world.

I have never encountered the problem with any system I have ever worked with.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, December 9, 2013 3:09 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 11:30 AM