none
TMG as front end firewall RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to be in the market for a new edge firewall shortly.  We currently have a sonicwall pro 3060 and have no complaints about it, but we will be switching from a 10 mb to a 100 mb internet connection before too long and need something that can handle the throughput.  TMG 2010 has come up because we are a school, and through our licensing with microsoft, it is really cheap to purchase.  All I need to buy is hardware.  I can get the hardware and TMG that can handle the throughput for significantly less than any comparable Cisco or Sonicwall device.  We have published exchange OWA and sharepoint sites as well a few non MS websites being published.  Does forefront really make a good front end edge firewall?  It has some good reviews but I am not finding many real world deployment reviews(only test/demo configurations) online.

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Forefront TMG does a good job as a Front Firewall. It has all required Enterprise Firewall functionality and the required certification like other Enterprise Firewalls but you're right. About 80 percent of my customers uses TMG/ISA as proxy Server in the DMZ or as a Backfirewall with a Firewall from another vendor in front of TMG/ISA

regards Marc Grote aka Jens Baier - www.it-training-grote.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.nt-faq.de
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:04 PM

All replies