Why is there no signout option in the power button of the start menu? RRS feed

• Question

• How to I get signout to appear in the start menu?
    Monday, October 24, 2016 3:58 AM

Answers

1. If you Left click at Start button > then click the Power icon, you will get Sleep, Shut down and Restart. No sign out option. MS does not elaborate the reason "why not."

2. If you Right click at Start button > click Shut down or Sign out, you will get Sign out, Sleep, Shut down and Restart.

3. If you Left click at Start button > click your profile picture, you will see Sign out option.

That's how current  Windows 10 is setup.

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:15 AM

Your heading and your text tell a different story. The heading asks why is there no sign-out on the power button? The answer is that sign-out is not a power option. It does not change anything to do with power.

David has told you where the sign-out option is on the start screen - it is where it should be, under current user.

Bill

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:48 AM

All replies

1. If you Left click at Start button > then click the Power icon, you will get Sleep, Shut down and Restart. No sign out option. MS does not elaborate the reason "why not."

2. If you Right click at Start button > click Shut down or Sign out, you will get Sign out, Sleep, Shut down and Restart.

3. If you Left click at Start button > click your profile picture, you will see Sign out option.

That's how current  Windows 10 is setup.

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:15 AM

Your heading and your text tell a different story. The heading asks why is there no sign-out on the power button? The answer is that sign-out is not a power option. It does not change anything to do with power.

David has told you where the sign-out option is on the start screen - it is where it should be, under current user.

Bill

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Like most of the other changes to the User Interface in Windows 10, this is another failure of Microsoft where things are less efficient in the new design compared to Windows 7.  Any task that takes more menus or mouse clicks to do is more evidence of BAD user design decisions.

Bill: You say that the sign out has nothing to do with power. Okay, I'll give you that, but I'll also say that you shouldn't click Start to shutdown. Shutdown has nothing to do with Start.

In the older versions of Windows, I was able to change the default appearance and behavior of the power button to log off or restart. This was particularly useful for RDS Servers or shared workstations where you don't want the user rebooting. It's a matter of efficiency and training. With the new way, I have to re-train users on something so basic as logging off, and it 's harder for them to do. On high DPI displays, that "user" icon is tiny - and again, more clicks.

These basic user interface design failures are all over Windows 10. I'm reminded about one of the original full page ads Microsoft put out touting the awesomeness of Windows 10 where it was claimed that Windows 10 was "intuitive, with practice." Of course as we all know, if you need to practice, it's not intuitive. That pretty much describes Windows 10 to a T. Nothing is intuitive, nothing is simple, everything is buried in some deep menu, maybe the setting you are looking for is in the settings app, maybe it's in Control Panel, who knows - I'm sure it was intuitive to someone. Just not the rest of us.

Microsoft: Give me a quick and dirty way to put an easy to find and use log out button on the start menu. Preferably very very close to the power button. The modern incarnations of the Start menu in all versions of Windows beyond Windows 7 are absolute nightmares from a usability standpoint.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 2:53 PM