none
How to clean up non-existent Hyper-V cluster resource group in DPM? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we start to protect our Hyper-V cluster (Windows Server 2008 R2) with DPM 2010. But I found that DPM keeps records of every HAVM we created in the Hyper-V cluster, even it's not ever protected and deleted by Failover Cluster Manager or SCVMM.

It's how I find the symptom:

• Start recovery of anything 
    • Select recovery type - Copy to network folder (or Recover as virtual machine to any host)
    • Specify destinate - Browse
    • In the "Specify Alternate Recovery Destination" window, I can see every HAVM (cluster resource group) I ever created in the Hyper-V cluster, even it's deleted!
    • If I expand the non-existent cluster resource group, an error shows up:
      Operation failed because <resource group name> is not accessible from the DPM server.
      User the cluster management software to check to see if the cluster resource group <resource group name> is online. 
      ID: 31003

Is there anyway to clean it up?

Thanks. 

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:50 AM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:24 AM

All replies

• I can see those non-existing cluster resource group in "tbl_AM_Server" table, but dare not touch those records manually.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:37 AM
  • I'm seeing the same thing with DPM 2012 and Windows Failover Cluster 2012. The worst part is if a VM is migrated or created with SCVMM 2012 it Adds 'SCVMM' as a prefix and 'Resources' as a suffix. You can rename this is under the failover clustering manager but then DPM shows both, even if the VM is deleted.

It is so frustrating that SCVMM renames the VMs and then DPM lists recovery destinations that are no longer there.

Microsoft, we need some help on cleaning this up since a Hyper-V Cluster can support thousands of VMs.

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:44 PM