none
Proper way to create Windows Defender exclusion for VS'es "Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer" (codelens) RRS feed

• Question

• Our company is very strict on security, as I image many are.  One example is that our development workstations have this "Windows Defender" product from Microsoft running and is unable to be shut off.

The consequence is that all the I/O to disk is scanned.  And VS does a lot of it.

However, if I can make an acceptable proposal about *process* (or directory) exclusions for Windows Defender, then we can sometimes increase the performance of VS.  I'm always looking for ways of decreasing "Windows Defender" I/O.  Having an SSD doesn't mean I want "Windows Defender" scanning the heck out of every last disk write.  While the disk I/O may not cost much, it also creates unnecessary CPU overhead.

So this codelens stuff runs in a process that is unusual.  It is somehow launched from a dll in the GAC: Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer.

Should I request that this full, ugly process path be excluded from Defender scanning?  Is there a better way?

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer\v4.0_14.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.Alm.Shared.Remoting.RemoteContainer.dll

Any pointers would be appreciated.  I wish I could get my whole development workstation excluded from our Windows Defender policy....

David Beavon

• Moved by Weiwei Cai Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:45 AM not VS IDE issue.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:50 PM

Answers