none
Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2012 and Exchange backup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm evaluating to run DPM 2012 (Understand just released) against our Exchange 2007 environment and have some questions I couldn't find via web searches. 

1) Does DPM 2012 have built-in dedupe?  I know when I was at previous company running 2010 against Exchange and SQL the storage needs were ridiculous.

2) Does DPM 2012 allow individual mailbox item restore?  I know I can do this with Symantec Backup Exec without having to go through ringers of mounting a new database or restoring to a different mailbox so hoping DPM 2012 has evolved to support this feature.

3)  Can DPM 2012 restore to a different Exchange Node.  I have an A/B node Exchange cluster and we replicate the B node to our DR site and bring online.  If I use DPM to backup to a local NAS I was then thinking of replicating that data to our DR site and then restoring data to the B node during DR test/disaster. 

Thanks

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:28 PM

Answers

• Sunkist,

So there are a few options I think you have so I have a few questions and comments.

1) We do not support NAS for a storage pool(there is no change with DPM2012) - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757941.aspx

2) replicating 1 DPM storage to another DPM storage pool is not supported - The DPMDB will be different

3) What version of Exchange are you using Exchange 2010?

Suggestions:

a) The easiest way for you sounds like either having a secondary DPM server and having it backup the data from the primary dpm server for the exchange node.  You could then restore that way if nothing else to another Exchange DB or network location

b) If it is Exchange2010 you can setup a DAG and have DPM1 protect DAG node 1 in Site 1.  Exchange will replicate its data and you could have DPM2 protect Exchange Node 2 directly in Site2.  Thanks

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:39 PM

All replies

• Any comments out of MS regarding my post?

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Sunkist,

Here is some infomration and some questions.

1) Please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/9f7d50cf-a9f7-4350-80fb-93d7acb459d9, specifically for your question of "Built-in" dedupe, DPM 2012 has no native dedupe feature.

2) DPM restores Exchange using the supported Exchange requirements.  Other progams may offer ILR outside the DB but with the risk that if something fails they may be in an unsupported scenerio from Exhange.

3) The way the question is phrased you can restore to a different Exchange Node but I think you are asking something different.  How are you replicating data?

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:52 PM
  • 3)  We replicate the B node using Veeam replication.

I was thinking backup with DPM to the local NAS, replicate NAS-to-NAS the DPM backup folder, and then use a remote DPM machine to restore updated data to the B node.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Sunkist,

So there are a few options I think you have so I have a few questions and comments.

1) We do not support NAS for a storage pool(there is no change with DPM2012) - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757941.aspx

2) replicating 1 DPM storage to another DPM storage pool is not supported - The DPMDB will be different

3) What version of Exchange are you using Exchange 2010?

Suggestions:

a) The easiest way for you sounds like either having a secondary DPM server and having it backup the data from the primary dpm server for the exchange node.  You could then restore that way if nothing else to another Exchange DB or network location

b) If it is Exchange2010 you can setup a DAG and have DPM1 protect DAG node 1 in Site 1.  Exchange will replicate its data and you could have DPM2 protect Exchange Node 2 directly in Site2.  Thanks

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:39 PM