none
Microsoft DPM 2016 UR2 DPMDB restore with DPMSync -RestoreDB always fails with Error ID: 455 Execution Timeout Expired RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are using DPM since DPM 2010.
    We started with DPM on a Windows Server 2008 R2, upgraded the DPM to DPM 2012 R2 on this DPM host.
    Then we created a backup of the DPMDB with dpmbackup.exe. Rolled out a new server running Windows Server 2012 (same server name, domain, database name), reinstalled the same version of DPM 2012 R2, run DPMSync -RestoreDB -DBLoc [...]. Everything was fine.

Now we updated this DPM Host to DPM 2016 UR2 and took a backup of the DPMDB with the cmdlet Backup-SqlDatabase, because dpmbackup.exe isn't a part of DPM 2016 anymore. Rolled out a new Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016 SP1, installed the same DPM version (2016 UR2), same server name, same domain. In DPM2016 the default database name isn't DPMDB anymore, it's DPMDB_SERVERNAME.

Now we are trying to restore the database backup from the productive DPM Server with the following command:

DPMSync -RestoreDB -DBLoc "C:\...\DPMDB.bak" -DpmDbName DPMDB -InstanceName SERVERNAME\MSDPM

Unfortunately we always get Error ID: 455
    Failed to attach database [dpmdb] at location [C:\...] to SQL server. Make sure that the SQL server services are running and you are restoring a valid DPM database backup.

Detailed Error: Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

In the SQL Server Management Studio the database stucks at restoring...

We already tried to rename the DPMDB from DPMDB_SERVERNAME to DPMDB during the restore without success.

As a work-a-round we tried to restore the database with SQL Server Management Studio, renamed it as DPMDB_SERVERNAME and run DPMSync -Sync. DPMSync -Sync can be executed successfully and DPM seems to be running okay.

If I now run Backup-SqlDatabase again to get a backup of the DPMDB and try a restore by DPMSync -RestoreDB ... Error ID: 455 comes again ;-(

So I'm not sure if the work-a-round over the SQL Server Management Studio is really a good idea/supported?

Right now I'm still playing in a test environment, but I will do the productive migration to Windows Server 2016 asap to use Modern Backup Storage feature of DPM 2016.

Has anyone already successful migrated a DPM2016 to a Windows Server 2016 DPM server?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Michael

• Edited by Michael EC Tuesday, May 23, 2017 8:15 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 4:26 PM

Answers

• We finally opened a support case at Microsoft.

They recommended me to restore the database as described with the work a round by SQL Server Management Studio and running DPMSync -Sync afterwards.

Kind Regards

Michael

• Marked as answer by Michael EC Monday, June 12, 2017 12:10 PM
    • Edited by Michael EC Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:51 AM
    Monday, June 12, 2017 12:10 PM

All replies

• UPDATE

In the meantime I tested to create an uncompressed backup of the DPMDB, like dpmbackup.exe did before (Backup-SqlDatabase [...] -CompressionOption Off).

Unfortunately still the same error from DPMSync -RestoreDB ;-(

Kind Regards

Michael

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:05 PM
  • Nobody an idea? ;-(

Kind Regards

Michael

Friday, June 2, 2017 1:36 PM
  • We finally opened a support case at Microsoft.

They recommended me to restore the database as described with the work a round by SQL Server Management Studio and running DPMSync -Sync afterwards.

Kind Regards

Michael

• Marked as answer by Michael EC Monday, June 12, 2017 12:10 PM
    • Edited by Michael EC Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:51 AM
    Monday, June 12, 2017 12:10 PM