none
SharePoint 2013 - LDAP to FBA migration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2013 portal (web application) configured on LDAP and users are authenticated against Active directory using custom server side code. (Email is used as username)

Users are added in SPGroups and those groups have permissions onto multiple pages, navigation menus, target audience 

Now I need to move away from active directory and re-configure this portal as purely FBA and users will be moved to SQL.

I have few queries;

1) How SPGroups will be affected, work as current or need to associate custom FBA role to each SPGroup

2) Is same server side code will work for FBA users like LDAP users?

3) What are other point of impact I need to check/assess?

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

You need redo the association to users and group.

Please share some code for your question #2.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:58 AM
  • Hi ShahidAliK,

1. Yes, need to add FBA role to SPGroup, FBA role can be considered as a Active Directory(AD) security group and we can add the roles to SharePoint groups or assign the permission directly to the FBA role in SharePoint without adding to a SharePoint group, here is a similiar question for your reference:

Relation between an FBA Role and SharePoint Group

2. Please share the code you are using.

3. About other impact,I think this should be related to the configuration progress, you can follow the configuration steps below to configure FBA Authentication:

Step By Step Form Based Authentication (FBA)

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:34 AM