Vista Home Premium. Unable to start System Restore. Error 0x81000202 RRS feed

• Question

• I've had Home Premium (32 bit) for about 15 months without any real problems but recently I've had a problem with System Restore.

When I try to run it I get a small pop up window that says

Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service stopped working and was closed down.

A problem caused the application to stop working correctly, Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

When I try to close the window it reappears, after the 10th time of closing the window I eventually get another window appear which says

Restore system files and settings.

System Restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system.

The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System restore is not working. For more information view the event log (0x81000202)

I've searched the internet for this problem and it appears that I'm not the only one who has experienced it.

Unfortunately I haven't found anyone who has been able to resolve the problem.

Can anyone help please.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:45 PM

Answers

• Dear All,

Bob and I worked together on this and we were able to resolve the issue. We ran  a few tests and on one of them, "sfc /scannow", reported some corruption that could not be fixed. Bob went ahead to remove Vista SP1 and then reinstalled it. After that he is able to use System Restore without any problems. 

Thanks much,

Jamir [MSFT] 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• Some further information.

If I go into Safe Mode I can run System Restore.

I notice that the last restore point is 17/10/08 so I’d imagine it was something after this date that stopped System Restore from working.

I’ve restarting the system with the earliest restore point available which is 6/10/08 and System Restore still doesn’t work in normal mode.

However from this restore point Windows is asking me to install 10 updates which were previously installed but lost due to the restore.

These are 2 updates that are dated after 17/10/08 (the last available restore point) Update for Microsoft Silverlight KB8957938       20/10/08

Security update for Windows Vista KB958644     23/10/08

8 other updates which are all dated 14/10/08

Cumulative security update for ActiveX killbits for Windows Vista KB956391

Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista KB956390

Security update for Windows Vista KB954211

Security update for Windows Vista KB956841

Security update for Windows Vista KB957095

Windows Malicious software removal tool – October 2008 KB890830

Cumulative update for Media Centre for Windows Vista KB955519

Update for Windows Mail Junk email filter (October 2008) KB905866

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:56 PM
  • BUMP!

Anyone got any ideas?

Is it possible to reinstall System Restore?

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Another BUMP to the top

Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:03 PM
  • i have the same problem although i cant restore in safe mode , a lot of ppl seem to be reinstalling vista to solve this problem , is there another way around it without reinstalling ??

Monday, November 3, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hello mate. Seems a bit drastic doesn't it?

Surely it can't be that difficult to solve.

If someone could tell use what files are involved couldn't we delete them and replace them with known good ones.

C'mon Microsoft the more I google the more it seems this is a common problem.

Monday, November 3, 2008 2:52 PM
  • a friend of mine who workes for microsoft told me today to make sure you have service pack

1 installed , im trying this at the moment and ill let you know what happens, i tries to restore in safe mode but got the same error,
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I've got SP1.

Good luck and whether it's good news or bad news let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 12:36 PM
  • ive downloaded sp1 and guess what , it still does not work.... cant find an answer to this anywere and im getting sick of it at this stage. might revert back to xp!!!

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:47 AM
  • Sorry to hear that but I appreciate you letting me know.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:31 PM
  • well the only comforting feeling when your having OS issues is when you hear that at least others are undergoing the same torture.... i am having this same issue, been fightin the *** for the last 22 hours... this is on my work machine too, i cant afford to have my complete OS freak out on me without solutions beyond the gosh darn re-install COME ON M'soft FIGURE IT OUT. help out the brothers man. The Brothers! Besides the loss of my restore capabilities, it has somehow told itself that its running Windows_NT according to my IS ID... wtf? Also, this all started after a non-solicited update provided by our friends at M'Soft.. should have named it Microhard-on Sorry I am just frustrated and under the gun to get a new site up by tuesday. plz help this lowely ole moron behind the keyboard

• Proposed as answer by barrytsmith Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:31 PM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Frustrating but like you say comforting to know you are not alone. You've only got to google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=0x81000202&btnG=Search&meta=

I wouldn't swear to it but I have my suspicions that my problems started with an update. (see my 2nd post).

I'm working on the theory that being a Microsoft site and by continuously and politely bumping this to the top that sooner or later someone at MS will feel they have a duty to reply.

Please help Microsoft.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Still need help with this.

Please

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Hi there,

Can you please follow these steps and let us know what the results are?

1- While booted into Normal Mode, please open an Elevated Command Prompt ("Run as Administrator" option)and type: rstrui.exe <press Enter>. What is the result? Does System Restore open or fails the same way?

2- Can you create another account/profile on your machine, set it with admin rights as well, then log on using that account and try to use System Restore. Does it fail?

3- Open Services and find the Volume Shadow . Right-click on it and go to Properties. What is the information about the service: Startup Type? Status? Log On Info? Dependencies Services up?

4- Since you don't experience this issue while in Safe Mode, only in Normal Mode, please try in what we call a "Clean Boot": Open msconfig > click on the Startup Tab > click on Disable All > click on the Services Tab > Click the box "Hide all Microsoft Services" > Click on Disable All > Click on OK > Reboot the machine > Try again > What is the result?

I would like to collect some logs from you so we can take a look. Which email can I contact you?

Thank you,

JamirC [MSFT]

Friday, November 14, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi thanks for your time.

The answers to your 4 questions.

1, System Restore fails exactly the same way as in post 1.

2. Created new account called 'test account' but System Restore still failed exactly the same way as in post 1.

3. Startup type= automatic

Status=stopped

Log on info= local system account selected but 'allow services to interact with desktop' is not ticked)

In bottom box Hardware profile is set to 'undocked profile', service is enabled

Dependencies=

Top box says 'Remote procedure control(RPC) and under that it says DCOM server  process launcher

Bottom box says no dependencies

Note after the above info was noted I tried to set Status=stopped to start but I got the following message

Windows could not start the volume shadow copy service on local computer.

Error 1053:The service did not respond to the start request in a timely fashion

4. System Restore fails exactly the same way as in post 1.

Look forward to hearing from

Best regards

Bob

Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:05 AM
  • Uninstall the Security Updates for Windows Vista KB954211, KB956841 and KB957095.

Issue is resolved then.

Monday, November 17, 2008 10:55 PM
  •  Tushar1985 wrote:

Uninstall the Security Updates for Windows Vista KB954211, KB956841 and KB957095.

Issue is resolved then.

Hiya Tushar.

I uninstalled the updates but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

JamirC [MSFT] has contacted me by email and is looking into it.

I'll post the outcome on here.

Cheers

Bob

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Dear All,

Bob and I worked together on this and we were able to resolve the issue. We ran  a few tests and on one of them, "sfc /scannow", reported some corruption that could not be fixed. Bob went ahead to remove Vista SP1 and then reinstalled it. After that he is able to use System Restore without any problems. 

Thanks much,

Jamir [MSFT] 

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:35 PM
  • First I'd like to say a BIG thank you to Jamir for contacting me and helping.

Hopefully this may be of help to anyone else that is experiencing this problem.

I'd just like to add I got my version of Vista before SP1 available.

After I removed SP1 System Restore began to work.

If this does not work for you do not go ahead and reinstall SP1.

First use your Vista Install disc and choose 'upgrade'. This will not wipe out your current installation but will repair it.

Then reinstall SP1.

If this does not work then I'm sorry I can't help.

One thing I have learnt from this forum is if you're patient and polite someone like Jamir will do their best to help.

Thanks again Jamir

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:19 PM
  •  Tushar1985 wrote:

Uninstall the Security Updates for Windows Vista KB954211, KB956841 and KB957095.

Issue is resolved then.

I'd love to be able to do this, but it's not letting me uninstall them.  It says that no updates are installed...even though there is a list of all my updates.  I'm going to cry....
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:35 AM
  • To view and remove updates go to

Control Panel--Programs and Features--Installed Updates

If you can't remove an update then it looks like you have more problems than just System Restore.

Removing KB954211, KB956841 and KB957095 didn't solve the problem anyway.

Have a read of the posts dated 24th November and try that.

If that doesn't work I'm sorry I can't help any further. I'm only a novice that's why I started this thread.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 10:24 PM
  • hey man , am i dont have any of these updates and guess what it still dont work , im getting really pissed at this stage and cant find a solution anywere, so im thinkin bout reverting back to xp

Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:20 PM
  • hey lads , am i reinstalled sp1 and this has solved the problem , the first sp1 file i had was corrupt so i re downloaded it , and has worked SmileSmile

thanks for the help

Monday, December 1, 2008 5:19 PM
  • It's caused by disable services - I had the same problem with MS automatic updates.

-Click on the pearl then type "Services" in the search box (Don't type in the quotes, of course).
    -Right click on Services (with the gears beside it) and pick Run As Administrator (I don't know if this in necessary, but I run everything in Vista as admin...That way programmes have an XP feel to them and actually, you know, work.)
    -Head down the list to "Volume Shadow Copy", double click on it and enable it if it's not enabled.
    -Then go back up the list a bit to "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" and double click on it to enable it if it's disabled.

After that, I  went back to the control panel and, voila - a successful restore point was created.

I didn't have to restart the computer to make this work, but that might be necessary for some.

Happy Vista hacking, y'all!
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:02 AM
  • Hello: Friend

I downloaded a vista program,made to up your performance.I didn't need it,cauce i have a 5.8 system.What the program did,was clean out the system cleaning as it goes.Later that day i un-installed it by using the ____ uninstall link in the program. When it was removed ,i never used it's PROGRAM setting to return my system back to prier setting. THE program all ready had turned off  system restore setting's.SO when i deleted that program,it took  my SYSTEM RESTORE with it.SO that is now  why i get this error that you all are talking about in this list of discussions. HOPE it is some help too anyone. IT WAS A SHAREWARE PROGRAM  with 15 days free. I say crapware.I guess i had nothing better to do.

PS: I do have a copy of ny PC when it came new on a CD,i can install ONECARE  to access the cd,deleting my store bought Antivirus software.Thats how i see it .

All i can say is THANK YOU  ( shareware ) PROGRAM  NAME  IS: (  AUSLOGICS SOFTWARE ) boost-speed-setup  !!
    • Proposed as answer by Parridox Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:26 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Proposed Answer well / sorry if hit wrong button,but was looking to add my FIX:
      I re-installed Vista over the copyi had installed.There was 196MB of Windows updates,my antivirus software added another 65MB to update it.BUT Now ___ System Restore does work! The problem with fixing your errors is: If you delete them files.Find them to return them to fix the problem.I was not able to find them files.Thank You all.Good Luck. ! .

Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Hi. Same problem here: system restore doesn't work, but on safe mode it works.

But didn't solved the problem.

Now, i have a Toshiba laptop that came with windows vista but they didn't provide the instalation CD. and i don't know if this has SP1 or not!

How i know? And how do i can repair the system?

Thanks!
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:45 AM
  • I was unable to use System Restore as well. I am running Vista Ultimate Upgrade from XP on a 2.8ghx Dimension and 4Gb of ram. I mention that because a couple of time my system froze up when I tried to launch it via command promt.  I tried everything I could think of including removing 1 by 1 each preceeding update, no joy.  I even tried running the Windows Live Tool, hoping it would pick something up but it did not.  I don't know what promted me to do this but I downloaded and registered RegCure, ran it with the "Automatically Repair" option selected and it worked.  After reboot, System Resore came up but I had lost all previous restore points.  It did however create the restore point on reboot :).  "It's in the hole!"
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:46 PM
  • @vancouvernights

Thank you!! that worked perfectly if anyone is still getting this error make sure you  try this...do exactly what Vancouvernights said...worked perfectly...If anyone is still having problems with this feel free to post in here or pm me and I can put to gather a video tutorial on this to help out...thanks again VancouverNights!!
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:16 PM
  • after some careful deliberation and checking the answer on these forums and going through the problem myself for all of five minutes i'd like to propose a simple and yet almost instantaneous answer that doesn't cause you to restart or have to uninstall anything.  hit your startup button and where it says search, type in msconfig, under the services tab hit the "enable all button" this should allow you to run you're system restore with no problem whatsoever.

i can even reproduce the problem by disabling a few services in there.  but anyways theres you're fix.  it was alot more simple than some people made it out to be -_-

have a nice day ^-^

(and after you're done, dont forget to disable the services you don't want running)
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:18 PM
  • THANKYOU THANKYOU vancouvernights. 0x81000202 fixed, 0x80070422 fixed etc etc You have just made my day. I have tried all the other suggestions previous to yours except reloading the software and i was able to fix all my problms, which included my windows update function, restore system and internet connections all working again as i was able to restore my system back to original time when my oomputer was happily running. I did have to turn indexing on, which the computer asked me to do, after finding "services". Also i was not sure what the PEARL was, but i worked it out that it must have been the START icon on the bottom left hand side. regards zena
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I have the 64bit vista, with SP2, and I have the same system restore problem. I also can't update my windows defender with windows update, as I get error code 8007007E. Plus, when I try to listen to windows media player 11, it plays the first 3 or 4 seconds, then the sound stops, but the counter is still going. So far, I have found no solution that works for any of these problems. Is mac going to replace windows, or can the Microsoft techies come up with fixes? This is highly annoying.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:59 PM
  • I was having issues with system restore AND installing updates and this fixed both for me!  Thanks!
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:47 PM
  • i just had the same problem.  i went to "start" typed in "msconfig" and clicked on "customized" and the spots below it.  clicked "ok" and frestarted my machine.

it worked.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:32 PM
  • It's caused by disable services - I had the same problem with MS automatic updates.

-Click on the pearl then type "Services" in the search box (Don't type in the quotes, of course).
    -Right click on Services (with the gears beside it) and pick Run As Administrator (I don't know if this in necessary, but I run everything in Vista as admin...That way programmes have an XP feel to them and actually, you know, work.)
    -Head down the list to "Volume Shadow Copy", double click on it and enable it if it's not enabled.
    -Then go back up the list a bit to "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" and double click on it to enable it if it's disabled.

After that, I  went back to the control panel and, voila - a successful restore point was created.

I didn't have to restart the computer to make this work, but that might be necessary for some.

VancouverNights  --  Wow it looked like you solved my issue with Sys Restore, but both areas were marked Manual and it also said Service Stopped.  In order to start it, start parameters must be listed in blank area.  I had no idea.  Could you extend any help.  What did your two areas say?  Service stopped or was it started?  If it is started, what do the parameters say?  Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Riverwood Monday, July 5, 2010 8:49 PM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 8:23 PM
  • OK HOW DO YOU FIND VISTA SP1 PLEASE LET ME KNOW???
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:24 PM
  • I have searched the above "solution" as suggested by VancouverNights.  At first I could not get it to work for me.  I had asked VancouverNights for further assistance due to the problem I had starting each of the areas because I did not understand the needed parameters.

But, try this for a solution:  Go to each location in Services (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy) and make sure to choose Extended in the lower left corner instead of Standard.  Then, go above and Click on Start the Service

I was successful in being able to get System Restore to work again.  Hopefully, it will continue to do so.  If not, I guess I'll come back here again and start the service again in each area.  I believe, at least in my situation, the problem was caused by malware.  I used MalwareBytes and removed 18 "infections" before trying the above solution.

Hope this helps some of you.

Monday, July 5, 2010 9:03 PM
  • I had two problems, system restore & task scheduler not working.  I was able to fix them both. RIGHT CLICK ON DESK TOP/ TASK MANAGER/SERVICES/ SCROLL DOWN TO SCHEDULE/ DBL.CLICK IT & BOTTOM RIGHT BOX CLICK/ SERVICES/ DOWN TO SCHEDULE/ RIGHT CLICK IT & select start service/ apply or ok. no more problem both my system restore & TASK SCHEDULER WORK.  i HOPE THIS HELPS.  GOOD LUCK.  barrytsmith.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Thank You,

This worked for me Riverwood

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:56 PM
  • It works for me!!...thanks for the info.
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 5:21 PM
  • I just want to thank VancouverNights so much. I have been looking for days for some resolution to the same problem and yours worked perfectly.   Thanks again.
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:57 AM

WHAT IS THE PEARL?....DO YOU MEAN START?  THEN ASSESORIES THEN RUN 
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:29 PM
  • WHAT IS PEARL?...

DO HE MEAN START  /ASSESSORIVES / RUN / THEN TYPE IN SERVICES.... THANKS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:31 PM
  • CA

CAN U TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, I AM NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT HE MEANS BY PEARL???? THANKS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:33 PM
  •  

CAN YOU TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, I AM NOT UNDERSTANDING VANCOVER NIGHTS ANSWER

THANKS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:35 PM
  •  

LOOFAR WHAT DID U DO TO FIX THE ERROR CODE?..THANKS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:36 PM
  •  

BEANNIK CAN YOU EPLAIN THE STEPS YOU TOOK, I AM NOT HAVING ANY LUCK....I DO NOT UNDERSTAND VANCOVER NIGHTS  ABOUT "PEARL"...THANKS

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:37 PM
  • CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID TO RESOLVE THIS ERROR CODE...0X8100202..

I KNOW HOW MINE STARTED WAS BY GOING INTO msCONFIG AND DISABLE ALL MICROSOFT AND THEN TO STARTUP AND DISABLE ALL  ( I DID THIS TO USE A CAPTURE DEVICE TO IMPORT ANALOG -VHS TAPES- TO DIGITAL FORMAT).

ANYWAYS I NEED HELP GETTING IT , THE  ERROR CODE OUT, I DO NOT WANT TO RESSTORE TO BRAND NEW, I DO HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL DISKS THAT CAME WITH THE VISTA DESKTOP FROM 2007/2008... ANY AND ALL HELP APPRECITATED...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:44 PM
  • I got the same problem and did all the things suggested with the same results.

I found that the last update went bad.  All of the services except 3 in my startup (msconfig)

were disabled at the same moment I enabled all, restarted and all was happy again. 

Just so you know I had found a lot of other things weren't working as well, but everything

cleared up in one short.  Hope this helps it made my day.

Tom

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:57 PM
  • thanks vancouver after a couple of hours searching for an answer i came upon your fix that worked a treat.cheers m8 well explained you should work for microsoft
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Try going to the Control Panel > Administrative tools (make sure your in classic view to see) > System Configuration > on the General Tab Choose the option for Normal Startup. Apply these changes then restart your machine. Let me know if this helps anyone out!!!
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:32 PM
  • This is the solution:

You need to enable the services for system restore, to do that follow the steps provided below.

1. Click on Start button, now type in services.msc in the search programs and files and hit enter.

2. Now you need to check for the “volume shadow copy” service present in the services windows.

3. After selecting the “volume shadow copy” service you need to right click on the service and select properties and make the startup type as automatic and start the service.

4. Click ok, restart the computer and check for the issue.

and then:

Creating system restore point manually:
    1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
    2. In the left pane, click System Protection If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
    4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:38 AM
  • I could not open system restore, windows update, management control system. I tried everything. Then i thought of the HOTKEY F8. Restart your computer and before anything comes up keep pressing F8 until you get "Advanced Options". You will see a number of options. Scroll  to the `Repair your computer` and press enter. You get more options so click on System Restore and it gives you the dates that are available. Choose the date of restore and let the computer do the rest.                                                  When completed do a restart and that should be that. I got back Windows update, system restore, management control system.   Let me know how you get on at- keithclancy62@hotmail.co.uk.                                                                                                              Todays date is Saturday 26/11/11
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Do a restart, only before it starts up, keep pressing Hot Key F8. Out of the options choose REPAIR MY COMPUTER. Then out of the next options given click on System Restore and then on a date you choose to restart it to. Worked for me. Let me know how you get on.    keithclancy62@hotmail.co.uk       Date is 26/11/11
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:58 AM
  • This work for me... thanks man...

Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks the solution worked just fine as expected.You are great and the steps worked fine for me on windows 7 starter.The problem has being a real torn in my skin and you can't imagine the ease with which your solution solve the issue.I saw all the options from other post for SP1 and installations.They just sounded like problems to me for someone trying to avoid any change in the current systems setup. Thanks alot !!!!

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:59 PM
  • I went to Services from start menu andenables volume shadow copy and "system restore" was restored
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:05 AM