No Classic Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I know there is a way to disable the new Vista start menu but I am looking for a way to disable the Classic start menu. Does anyone know of a way to remove the option to change to the classic menu ?
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:44 AM

All replies

• You can always delete a theme by going into Personalize and go into theme, select particular theme and clicking delete. Not sure if you can do that to the classic theme because that is one of the default themes.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for your reply but what I wanted to disable was the option in this picture.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 6:56 AM
  •  

Hi,

I'm on XP right now. Not sure if the policy is present in Vista. But try this:

Run gpedit.msc

Go to: User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

Disable "Force Force classic Start Menu"

The explanation for the GP says:

"If you disable this setting, the Start menu only displays in the new style, meaning the desktop icons are now on the Start page.

If you do not configure this setting, the default is the new style, and the user can change the view."

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 11:27 AM
  • Yes I saw this setting unfortunatly it does not seem to do anything on Vista.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:08 PM
  • That only forces the disabling of "force of classic menu". It does not ensure that the classic menu cannot be enabled.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Looks like it can't be done...I thought maybe a combination of regeisty / policy settings but I have had no luck.

I am open to ideas !!
    Monday, July 14, 2008 1:30 AM